Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

some shots from my trip to malaysia

hey everyone, i'm back!

first off malaysia is a very nice country, just dont ever go there in august...

it was a huge dissappointment from a photography stand point, apperently indonesia and some parts of malaysia burn the rice fields to clear them more easily, and as a result you get a very (very) thick haze all the time, i did not see one sunset in 3 weeks the sun just dissappeared behind the haze with no colour... not to mention any landscape shots were pointless as the visability just wasnt there!

anyway needless to say i only took a couple hundred shots of which these are the only ones i liked, i do have some temple shots that are ok, but not worth posting in my opinion

the bulk of these were jpegs out of the camera except for the shots of petronas towers and the waterwall,

CC always welcomed!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Nikon D7000 - Nikkor AF-S 70-200vrII f2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 105vr f2.8 Micro | Nikkor AF-S 16-85 | Nikkor AF-D 35mm f2 |Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro | SB-700 | SB-600

Website

heres 4 more
    Nikon D7000 - Nikkor AF-S 70-200vrII f2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 105vr f2.8 Micro | Nikkor AF-S 16-85 | Nikkor AF-D 35mm f2 |Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro | SB-700 | SB-600

Website

and the last 4

Website

The first post with the bugs and birds are amazing. I love the vivid colors.

The towers are a bit of a funny and difficult one. Its difficult because of that smaller tower on the left is there, and would look messy if it wasn't complete. Its nice you were able to get the "top" in the frame, but because it was partially included, the base of towers aren't evenly spaced from the edges of the frame (the left tower is closer to the middle than the right tower). Its funny because I wouldn't know what to do in that case. I'd probably try to include all of the smaller left side tower while keeping the base of the towers the same distance from the edges of the frame. That said, its another beautiful picture.

The night shot, it looks like you were a bit off center and the spacing from the edges of the frame is still different between the two towers, except the left tower is close to the edge than the right this time. I love the lighting and the "glow" the towers provide.

The monkeys and the sand-crab-bug-animal picture seems a bit overexposed, but i love the detail in the sand and on the crab-like-animal.

The waterfall/stream probably my favorite. Shutter speed wasn't too long, but not too short.

The workshop is great. Really "dark" and moody. Makes me curious as to what they're making.
    Photo Gallery

Body - Nikon D700
    Lens - Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D, Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR, Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 VC
    Accessories - Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon MB-D10 Grip
    Stability - Giottos MT-8361 Tripod, Giottos MH-1300 + MH-657 Head
    Post Processing - Adobe Lightroom 2, Adobe Photoshop CS4

Dreams - Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR

These are great, I love #1. The colors are so bright, focus so sharp, and even the motion blur doesn't bother me. It just makes it more of an artsy shot, rather than a "naturalist specimen." And it's interesting to see that its tongue didn't move, even though its front leg and wings did!

I also like the waterfall shot, although unlike Actaeon, I don't think you can ever have too long of a shutter speed on waterfall shots as long as you're not blowing out the colors but you did a great job with it. The only way it could have been longer is if it was darker outside, or you had a filter.

Great work, I'm glad you shared it. I know what it's like to be disappointed in your great photo opportunity, sometimes it seems like we take our best shots close to home where we can plan and revisit the scene until we get it just right!
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

thanks for the comments, for the towers unfortunately due to limitations of my equipment, the 18-55 just isnt wide enough in DX format, the issue was i could not find anywhere to get a clear shot to fit everything in, had i had a ultawide and a FF camera there would of been many more options and agles i could have explored, so that is the best i could have done given the circumstances

i really want a macro lens, i find i really enjoy shooting bugs flowers etc or at least some extension tubes for the nifty 50

thanks tori, the thing is in our backyard here more often then not the skies are clear unless there is a bushfire or something and in that case you can get some incredible sunsets, it was just really dissappointing to the point where my camera stayed in the hotel room most of the time, we just took my partners p&s around...

the last shot is a coffee factory in georgetown, Penang i have some of the coffee here i may make some today, supposed to be really good!

Sergio

Website

Thumbs up Those are great...

Like the others - I really enjoy the vivid colors. The night shot of the Petronis Towers is very interesting and the coffee factory I think has become my favorite.

Good work and thanks for sharing.

re.ac.tor
    Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H50, Sony MVC-CD300

great series of shots. beautiful crisp, sharp and well exposed. i find myself totally drawn into the last silhouette. it looks spectacular.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

For me the silhouette is stunning. Real winner that one. I also really like the night shot of the towers as well as the bug shots in your first post.
    Why is it that I have never found a dragon fly that is not zipping about like a nutter? You guys always seem to find one taking a breather or have the patience to wait for one to stop :-)

Great shots though. Well done. You should definately print out the silhouette one.
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

http://www.philipduartephotography.com

"It's better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie"

Got to agree with others, the last shot ia a ripper (term used by Rooz), Waterfall nicely done as well. You did get a number of keepers for sure , hope you had a great trip and post some more after you go through them again.
    - Rich

Nikon: D50, 18-70mm, 50mm, 70-200vr
    Kenko: 12mm, 20mm, 36mm Ext Tubes
    Manfrotto: 486RC2
    Benro: A-327 tripod

My Flickr Photos Here