Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Good luck with the Tammy 28-300. I bought one and sold it less than a month later, I was having the same problems with it that you show with your test.

That 70-300 is a CA monster.

The Tokina and the "elitist" lens are far and away the best of the lot. The Tokina shows some CA but very good contrast. The "elitist" shows very good contrast with just a hint of CA.

If I were to choose one lens of this grouping in this test it would have to be the 135 f/1.8. The 18-250 actually is a surprise, it might actually be my second choice, close call between it and the Tokina zoom. I am looking strictly at IQ and not at range.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Same here ... the 10 foot, 135mm shot is where the TAMRON 18-250 maxes out. If you have more distance between you and your subject, the longer your focal length will get. I believe at 27 feet, the lens will top out at 250mm, but I have never done this particular test.

I may do a side by side shoot, tomorrow, between the 28-300 and the 18-250 ... same subjects, same conditions for the shots. I already suspect this will not be a fair fight, based on the superior results we've already witnessed. But, with the newly returned and spec'd 28-300mm as "tuned" as she is going to get ... as Sean is prone to say, "we shall see."
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    That's not quite true, 'dr4gon', unless things have really changed. When I returned my AF 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM lens to SONY in Texas, the return to SONY was on me. I was never re-imbursed.

I had bought the lens from B&H and they would have "swapped it" (except that I had bought their last unit,at that time, and I needed it quick, holidays coming and all. That's why I bought it when I did), sending me a return shipping tag ... but, I went directly through the SONY Repair Depot (told they could have one back to me, overnighted) and lost about $50 in the bargain.

BTW: I returned the lens SONY sent me back to B&H, after the whole fiasco wound up taking nearly three weeks to get the promised "overnight" replacement. I lost all my holiday shots from Turkey Day. Really rattled my cage. Told one thing ... definitely got another. For a two-thousand dollar lens (at the time), I was pretty torqued off.

So, that's kind of why I'm waiting for the TAMRON AF 70-200mm f/2.8 to show up. I promised myself I wouldn't give in to the SONY G-version of the lens, again. It did not work OOTFSB (out-of-the-factory-sealed-box). So, what's new? I seem to find that a lot, no matter whose lenses I purchase. Some more than others. SIGMA has more than likely seen the last of my money.
    I dunno, I specifically asked them several times... maybe it has to do with the accidental warranty I bought? Not sure... But that sucks that you had to pay so much and went through quite a fiasco for that G lens. So I guess the G version wasn't as great as it's cracked up to be? Which G lenses are worthwhile? The 70-300 G SSM? I won't be going G or Z (zeiss) anytime soon, but it's always good to plan ahead (and start wishing....)
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Nah ... the G line is fine. I just got one with an issue. I know there were a few ... just like when Chrysler bought out American Motors ... and took the Jeep franchise, a few "gray" vehicles were built. Basicially, these vehicles were on the manufacturing line when the lights went out at AMC and came back on with the Chrysler logo. My 1988 brand new, custom-built Jeep Cherokee was one of those vehicles ... took eight weeks longer to get than normal. And yeah, it had a few issues in the QC Department. When Minolta shut its doors in 2005, several lens lines were basically stopped for re-badging to SONY. I honestly believe this was one of those lenses. The ones, now, are being tested with a standardized process and they are fine. So, I was just unfortunate ... and I'll live. Don't let my screwy experience stop you from purchasing any of these wonderful lenses.

Anyway, aside from all that ... I did a side-by-side, in the wild, today ... and have concluded that the 18-250 and the recenty "tuned" 28-300 shoot quite similarly. The quailty of the images seem pretty comparable, but if I had the choice, it'd would be the 18-250.

None of the images I took clearly point out one over the other. It was rather choppy .. and I had a lot more fun doing the "new" version 4 HDR shots. Sorry ... but, it seemed like the better test at the time.

Maybe some other time.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-11-2008 at 06:10 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I still wanted to post a couple comparisons with something that folks might relate to ... a lens box

Shot with the A700 mounting the following four lenses:
    SONY AF 50mm f/1.4
    TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1 MACRO
    TAMRON AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO
    TAMRON AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di-II LD Aspherical (IF)

SONY 50mm f/1.4
    Name:  50mm-crop.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  414.7 KB

TAMRON 28-300 @ 50mm
    Name:  50mm-28-300-crop.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  404.7 KB

TAMRON 18-250 @ 50mm
    Name:  50mm-18-250-crop.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  462.6 KB

TAMRON 90mm f/2.8 Di
    Name:  90mm-crop.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  481.0 KB

TAMRON 28-300 @ 90mm
    Name:  28-300-crop.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  470.6 KB

TAMRON 18-250 @ 90mm

Name:  18-250-crop.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  463.9 KB

These are all pixels peep crops at 100% ... so you decide.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-11-2008 at 07:06 PM.

flickr & Sdi

90 macro by a mile, maybe more like 10. 28-300 performing just like mine did, worse quality than my G9.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.

Impressive, ain't it? LOL

I'd like to shoot the TAMRON 90 against the CZ 85 f/1.4 ... just to see what you get for your extra $800 ... other than aperture.

flickr & Sdi

That's one Tammy I'd consider buying. One sharp mofo. I just looked it up at Buydig and almost pulled the trigger, until I saw the rebate was expired.
    Ansel Adams