Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Red face The stark reality of the A900

This camera will not let you off cheaply, that is for sure.

I did the quick math on this ... and if you swallow really fast, you might not choke.

α900 camera body . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $2999.99
    HVL-F58AM flash . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $499.99
    VG-C90AM Vertical grip . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $349.99
    NP-FM500H extra battery (for the VG grip) . $69.99
    4-yr "Anti-drop" insurance policy . . . . . . . . . $349.00

And the sub-total is . . . . . $4268.96 ... and I know you were thinking about that new lens, too, but forget it for now ... this is just getting the camera together for use with ANY lens. LOL

Buy this locally (around here) and you have a 10% sales tax to tolerate ... another $426.90 and we're at -> $4695.86!!!

Uh ... I guess I wasn't banking on $1400 worth of additional support to get it going. I really am sorry to say, but this improvement to my "hobby" will have to wait a little while longer, or there won't be any reason to take photos at Christmas, as there won't be ANYTHING under the tree! other than some pretty angry looking relatives!

"Get 'im!"
    Name:  What No Christmas.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  302.7 KB

This just has to wait ... even longer. Dog gone it.

I guess I might have been able to pull it off, when I sold sold my EOS 20D. That decision put me in a pretty good spot to launch the A700, last year ... and a couple of pretty good lenses ... but, doing that ... and now this, too? My images aren't that good! LOL I don't have a soccer team I'm following around.

I suppose if someone made good on their wager ... this might have a happier ending.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-12-2008 at 12:10 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Too bad the rumors of it sliding in just under $2,000 weren't true . It is quite the investment.... although don, you don't need that new flash (right away) or the anti-drop (lol, stabilizes up to 4 years of calendar deviation!)....
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

You know what they say ... "In for a penny ..."

I've put quite a bit of change into my "hobby" ... learned a hell of a lot, but I am a little hard-pressed to see a distinct advantage to where I currently am in the "need" department. Sure, I want the A900 ... it's quite a camera ... but do I truly "need" it to press forward, and at this point the answer is:

"Mr. Chairman, I refuse to answer that question, as it may tend to get me in a lot of trouble with people who could make my life a 'living hell', if I spent it."

In other words ... I need a target audience for this "imvestment." Mine own personal desire is one thing ... but, I also want a great sports car, too ... that gets really crappy mileage and makes heads turn. Again, things could change. I am working on it, but at this time ... I am stalled in this pursuit ... the car and the camera. LOL
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

The only upside...........

Is that you got a "AWESOME SET OF LENSES DUDE!!" Is P.P. going to have to now stand for Pictures for Profit? Remember a few months ago when I said we should start paying you for your advice! Oh wait how about this we all pitch in and buy one A900 and then time share it. Don I know what my lens addiction and start up gear obsession is doing to me and my bank account. I feel your pain brother!
    And as far as following a soccer team around...............man the light is already killing me, each game it gets darker and darker a few min. earlier.....wheres my 70-200 2.8!!! and belive it or not I have had several parents ask to buy pictures from the games!! lol I said you gotta be kidding me, I am doing this for fun and to learn how to use this stuff, i email the images to them and thank them for the compliments. Have to check I think we have one more Saturday day game, can't wait to use my new toy on that.......but more on that later.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Just wondering

Even though the 900 isn't really "in hand" yet, What if any chance is there of Sony releasing a "upgrade" on the 700 a750 maybe? or a "light' version of the 900 16 - 18 MP sensor?? I know you can toggle the sensor setting on the 900 but still... anyway just some thoughts, how likely a chance I don't know, but comments, debate, etc..

What I really want is more A mount glass at a resonable price, no not even cheap but some more consumer level choices would be nice.

You know, there will probably be a few more answers to come out of Photokina, because rumors have been all over the place on this subject. SONY probably should've priced the A900 "Package Deal", where you would get the VG, batteries and flash for a total of $3500, instead this "ala carte" menu - based on the mandatory '58 flash and proprietary-to-the-camera grip.

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays, over the next month or two ... but personally, I feel it was bad marketing. The "Package Deal" would be far more palatable, if you will. They do it all the time with the "kits" ... and here's the perfect place to start. Intro! "Body only" or "the package deal"

Get the camera successfully launched with a bang ... instead of trying to push it on an already higher-the-normal price-battered lens-buying public.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-12-2008 at 11:27 AM.

flickr & Sdi

bad marketing and Sony

Seems to be a phrase I keep hearing, and thats to bad. I know what your saying though. You would think that the 900 with no pop up flash would include a flash unit in the "kit" version wouldn't you? I can see not including a kit lens, would have to be pretty top end to go with the 900, and many people seemed to be buying up glass for the 900, So like you said what else would be a good 900 package VG and 2 batteries and kit II VG and flash. You would think they would have played with the 9's as it were also release the 900 on 09/09 for all of Sept. "nineth month" take orders for it at $1999.99 kit for $2999.99 but hey thats just me