Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Want Extended Zoom During Movie, Manual Controls...

First, thank you for creating this site! I'm really looking forward to utilizing it so that my photography becomes an even more rewarding hobby...

So, here's what I want in my new camera:

1) Price under $450
    2) Extended zoom (12-20x optical)
    3) Ability to manually focus (i.e.- to manually blur the background behind my subject, or the foreground in front)
    4) A movie mode, with stereo output
    5) Ability to zoom while filming movies and sound
    6) A good range for macro photos
    7) Preferably uses SD cards for memory
    8) Low noise in darker conditions
    9) Ability to print nice looking poster-sized photos

I've looked at the Canon Powershot S5 IS, the Sony DSC-H50, the Olympus SP-570 UZ, the Nikon Coolpix P80, the Fuji FinePix S100FS, and the Panasonic DMC-FZ28...

... and although all of the above cameras look fine, none seem to fit every need I have. Anybody have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance!!

I'm not sure #8 is feasible with the rest of your requirements - ultrazooms are, on, average, worse than even other point and shoot cameras with respect to noise.

Otherwise the Canon S5 will fit every other need you've got, and you can get lens accessories to increase the zoom range if necessary.

20x optical! holy crap..

the S5 IS fits your criteria probably the best other than number 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

Thanks, guys! Yeah, I know I'm being a bit unrealistic... but I just wanted to get the one that would best fit my recipe...

The S5 it is! Thanks again!!

I would pick Fuji S100fs, if I were you.
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair

Quote Originally Posted by S_p_i_d_e_r View Post
    I would pick Fuji S100fs, if I were you.
    The S100fs does not support stereo sound, the image quality is severely lacking, and it costs twice as much as the S5is.

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    The S100fs (...) image quality is severely lacking
    Jeff Keller (DCRP) wrote about S100fs: "Very good photo quality; outperforms other super zooms at high ISOs by at least a full stop."

Richard Butler (dpreview) wrote: "Most importantly, the S100FS's image quality is generally very good (particularly in resolution and noise terms)."

Gavin Stoker (photographyblog) gave it 5 out of 5 for image quality and a "Highly recommended" mark.

I know that this camera is not without flaws (noise reduction smears fine detail, strong chromatic aberration, short battery life), but if you compare ISO400 shot, it is a clear winner:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Personally I would ditch the stereo movie recording in S5 IS for better high ISO performance of the S100fs. Also S5 IS is lacking a real wide angle (36mm vs 28mm on S100fs), RAW capability and Fuji's manual zoom and focus rings. Don't get me wrong - I like S5 IS very much (I was on the verge of buying one)cand I hope that S6 IS will get all that missing features
    Last edited by S_p_i_d_e_r; 08-27-2008 at 02:19 AM.
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair