Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Angry Shots are almost all white!? Help

Camera: Finepix E550

Any pictures I try to take outside, during the day, and include some sky... usually come out almost entirely white. I tried a bunch of things like turning the exposure all the way down, adjusting the white balance... nothing seems to work. However the movie capture mode on the camera can get great results from the same shot. Here are 2 examples, the first is just a normal shot with exposure all the way down in "P" and the second is from the movie capture mode (I just saved a frame)

Anyone have anysuggestions!? My indoor shots come out great with the right settings but these outside shots are driving me crazy. I am in need of some major help.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by shawnrgr; 01-18-2005 at 09:05 AM.

i noticed that your iso is at 400, that increases the sensitivity of your sensor.
    try putting it to auto iso, or 100.

I tried that as well, also tried it on 80. Still only effects the image slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnrgr
    Camera: Finepix E550
    Any pictures I try to take outside, during the day, and include some sky... usually come out almost entirely white. I tried aa bunch of this like turning the exposure all the way down, adjusting the white balance... nothing seems to work. However the movie capture mode on the camera can get great results from the same shot. Here are 2 examples, the first is just a normal shot with exposure all the way down in "P" and the second is from the movie capture mode (I just saved a frame)

Anyone have anysuggestions!? My indoor shots come out great with the right settings but these outside shots are driving me crazy. I am in need of some major help.
    When you say "exposure" what exactly do you mean? And what mode are you taking the images in, manual or auto?

The first image does look like there's possibly a problem with your aperture/shutter speed settings which has happened when the camera is in manual mode.

A bit more information about the camera's settings when taking the images would be useful.
    Bob Patterson

here is another example of how all my shots taken outside end up way too bright.

ISO: 80
    Exposure: 1/600s
    F-Stop: f6.4
    Focal Length: 29mm

What the hell went wrong with this one??

and another.

ISO: 80
    Exposure: 1/2000s
    F-Stop: f8
    Focal L: 29mm

Thumbs down Ye gods ...

I'm sure there are people on this site who might be able to help out with exactly what's happening but to my eyes, there is a serious problem with your camera. I've not seen that sort of thing before and I can't explain it. I can't imagine what's wrong.

For me, the camera needs a repair of some sort - or replacement.
    Bob Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by judge9847
    I'm sure there are people on this site who might be able to help out with exactly what's happening but to my eyes, there is a serious problem with your camera. I've not seen that sort of thing before and I can't explain it. I can't imagine what's wrong.

For me, the camera needs a repair of some sort - or replacement.
    I just want to thank everyone for their input and suggestions. As it turns out, the camera WAS defective. It was over-exposing, and coun't read the bright light outside properly. It was kind of funny, Fujifilm said I was the first one to have this problem with the E550.. lol. Figures, its just my luck. Luckily... Circuit City was kind enough to let me exchange the camera for a new E550 without any hassle, even though it was almost 15 days past the exchange date. Here are a few outside shots with the new camera if any of you are interested. Again, thank you guys for all the input.