Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Canon S5 unable to focus objects at ∞ in full Tele

I have made many efforts to focus at something that is far away (-> ∞) while using full optical zoom (x12), like the moon or even at other objects in daylight and my canon s5 just wont focus on them.

Even if i switch to manual focus (set it to ∞) and turn off the continuous AF setting. Still nothing. If i reduce the optical zoom (like 6x it can focus on those items that i want, but are now smaller of course).

Is this a matter of lens or what? Is this happening with other cameras too?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by S5-User View Post
    I have made many efforts to focus at something that is far away (-> ∞) while using full optical zoom (x12), like the moon or even at other objects in daylight and my canon s5 just wont focus on them.

Even if i switch to manual focus (set it to ∞) and turn off the continuous AF setting. Still nothing. If i reduce the optical zoom (like 6x it can focus on those items that i want, but are now smaller of course).

Is this a matter of lens or what? Is this happening with other cameras too?

Thank you!
    That sounds almost as if something is going out of alignment once you go to full zoom - which is making it imposible to be in focus - is it new? Can you take it to the shop where you got it and ask them...?
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Thank you for the answer!

The shop where i took it from is not a dedicated photographic shop so i'm sure that they wont help me on this.
    I just want to know if other canon S5-IS users have faced the same problem.

Also i must say that it locks the focus ok, but the picture will come out blurry no matter if i use tripod or not. This is the actual problem i'm facing.

Hi there! I am not sure if this will help.........but you can give it a try. Switch to spot metering option and check, if there is no mechanical/alignment problem, it just might work out. Good luck!
    Cheers!! - Subrata