Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Mom looking for better pictures.

Hello everyone. I am a mom of a VERY quick, VERY active, extremely cute (of course I think so, I'm the mom!) little girl. 4-5 years back I bought an Olympus camera (can't for the life of me think of the model... it's the one that they advertise out on a picnic table getting rained on) that is just not cutting it anymore. It's great for outside use and has definitely gotten it's fair use while camping, canoeing and just for general photos. We even dropped it in 6 feet of water once and it was still working 10 minutes later after we got it dried off.

What I need now is a quick camera that takes good pictures. The Olympus is extremely slow at taking a picture and anything but outdoor lighting SUCKS. Most of my pictures of my daughter either turn out blurry or she's done doing whatever it was that I wanted to take a picture of.

I don't know much about cameras or taking pictures, but I do know that what I'm looking for probably requires a DSLR.

Please help me pick one out. A few specific models/lenses/kits would be nice so I can go do some comparison shopping soon.

I'd like it to be able to quickly turn on and quickly shoot a picture. None of this waiting 15 seconds crap! LOL!

Thanks!

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

Well, truthfully, I'd be willing to spend a descent amount to get good pictures, but since we're not rich, the lower the better. I'd say $900 would be pushing it.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

Size doesn't matter much. I don't want it to be so big and heavy it's hard to hold, but I don't think they make many entry-level DSLRs that are huge right?

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

Oh, IDK. 8? I will be printing some pictures for wall hangings. Probably 8x10, 5x7 & 4x6s.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)

Standard would be fine. Ultrazoom would be nice but I don't think I'd use it very often. Not that important to me.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    9. I'm sick of crappy, blurry pictures. I probably delete 8 out of 10 pictures right now.

Do you care for manual controls?

Not yet... I'd like to learn, but I'd also like the camera to have a good auto setting. I won't have a lot of time to adjust before taking pictures of my daughter I wouldn't think.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

Taking pictures of my daughter/family. Some scenery pictures when we're camping.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    I'd like to get really nice 8x10s

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Yup

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Action. I'll definitely have a moving target!

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

Not really. I love the Canon printers/copiers. I have an old Canon film camera in a box in the basement that I've never got around to having the lenses cleaned (they're all dusty from being so old) that I inherited from my Grandfather. But, any brand will be fine if it does the job good.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

Not really. A rebel maybe?

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

IDK?

I don't know that you really need a DSLR. A relatively inexpensive point and shoot like the Sony W 120 is quick and will give you good looking pictures under most conditions. A DSLR is, of course, much quicker and will give you better pictures, especially in low light conditions, but it may be overkill in your situation.
    Bitten by the photo bug
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon A720IS
    Sanyo Eneloop Rechargeable AA Batteries

I would say just get a basic DSLR then save the rest of your budget to spend as you find more stuff you need. Maybe a Nikon D40 would be a good place to start. You can get it for under $500 from reputable online sellers. Then add an external flash after you figure out what you're doing. There are newer models out but it doesn't really sound like you need them.
    Last edited by TheWengler; 08-21-2008 at 08:19 AM.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Either do what Andy said (buy well-featured compact like Panasonic DMC-FX500 or DMC-LX3), or do what Wengler said (prices of budget DSLRs like Nikon D40/D40x or Olympus E-410/420/510/520 dropped to acceptable levels) or buy a bridge camera (like Fujifilm S100fs which is a real powerhouse with that 28-400mm lens).
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair

Thanks for the input guys. I've been seriously considering the Canon D. Rebel XTi and the Nikon D60...

Until today, my sister-in-law told me I should look at the Sony DSCH50. Any opinions on this camera? I can't find many reviews for it...

Thanks!

When considering DSLRs, also check this one - Pentax K200D (it has image stabiliser working with any lens, weather seals, AA power and many more).

And here are two H50 reviews (IMHO there are much more interesting cameras out there):

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...hot-DSC-H50/p1

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...ot_dsc_h50.php
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair

The Sony H50

Quote Originally Posted by kthartline View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I've been seriously considering the Canon D. Rebel XTi and the Nikon D60...

Until today, my sister-in-law told me I should look at the Sony DSCH50. Any opinions on this camera? I can't find many reviews for it...

Thanks!
    I think it produces very good looking photos for a non-DSLR.

Here are some reviews:
    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...cyber-shot+h50
    http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...ot_dsc_h50.php
    http://photography.consumerelectroni....jsp?id=450969
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_.../sony_h50.html
    Bitten by the photo bug
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon A720IS
    Sanyo Eneloop Rechargeable AA Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by kthartline View Post

Thanks!
    The H50 is a pretty good camera, but it falls down in one area that you specifically mentioned as important - speed.

The H50 requires just under 3 seconds to start up, and has anywhere from a 3-12 second flash recycle time. Considering you stated that startup and shot-to-shot speed are important for you, this camera may not fit your needs best.

I'd still say the D40 with the kit lens is a good choice, or the Olympus E-420 with the kit lens for dSLRs. Both will give you sub-1 second startup times, and the being dSLRs, you'll be able to shoot a new picture pretty well as fast as you can compose it. There is a big size difference between them though, with the Olympus E-420 being considerably smaller - you might want to try it out in a store.

Thanks for your reply. Looks like I'll have to go to the store and try a few on for size to see how they perform in person. My biggest thing is when I want to take a picture of my daughter, I say her name and by the time the camera actually takes the picture, being a toddler, she's already moved on to the next thing. I have entirely too many pictures of the back of her head or her face close up because she decided to run at the camera! LOL!

Thanks!