Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    It is by design, but only in multi segment metered AF-S or AF-A mode.
    Otherwise you need to use the "AE Lock" button.

That's on the A700 which is I hope the same on the A200. If not, I apologise.

Dave,

we could write a book ... LOL

Enjoy the discussions and tests. All of it is enough to launch a career.

Feel free to ask questions ... and always ask before you drop any more coin on a new lens.

Welcome to the forum ... and have fun.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Dave AKA Jonny - hmmn sounds like a story there to me LOL. Dave welcome aboard, a member since 2007? been doing a lot of lurking?
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Lurking in the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Lurking in the wrong place.
    Hmmm, what's that mean? Lurking is a funny thing. If you post heaps of stupid questions that have been asked a million times you get told to search. But if you're good at finding answers without wasting bandwidth and server space, you're a lurker. Well I'm a lurker. I don't have much to contribute that hasn't been said already - it's the way my brain works.

Anyhow, I'll write a proper reply once I get over the emotions of so many people dying in the most atrocious bushfires we've seen in this country so far. Sorry guys. Not very happy today.

Simply letting Sean know you were in the wrong place seeing as you failed to find the Sony DSLR Forum. Certainly no offence intended.

Dave no offense, and please don't hesitate to jump in and chat, share you comments and opinions, DCRP and the Sony forum seem to be pretty laid back and easy going compared to some other places. There is some back and forth, and conflict but even then it doesn't get out of hand, and often still holds a bit of humor. I respect your comments as to the situation in OZ. I have watched some online, the wildfires are awful, the loss of life, the destruction, the wildlife the enviroment, a shame and a pity.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

I am in total agreement with Sean, here. The more we discuss the aspects of the photos present, the sooner you can truly appreciate what the DSLR can do for you, no matter what the model.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

First post and the a200 is my first DSLR

I bought the kit for my sister for Christmas and after seeing the pictures, I had to get one for myself

I think it's so easy to use and I take it everywhere I go, I don't think the lense that came with the kit is all that bad, but after reading the comments on here, I am looking foward to getting a new one along with a wide angle!

There is atleast 20 pawn shops downtown with mega gear on display.
    Would it be wise to buy used or should I break open the wallet and buy new?
    any advice would be appreciated!

I have happily bought some older lenses used, and been very happy, but they were all fairly cheap. There is a downside to older lenses (pre-digital) because they don't have the coatings that are beneficial to digital. Many are still great lenses though. I have bought a few of the inital (mid-eighties) Minolta lenses and been very happy. I have also bought a bad one from ebay, and was lucky enough that the seller returned it. You have to make sure that the glass is clear, free of fungus (looks like spider web) and that the aperture is oil free and snappy. You can move the little aperture arm on the bottom of the lens with a pencil, or sometimes your finger. Try it out on your camera, and make sure you can adjust the aperture and shoot pictures with it.

However, if you are spending more (like that Tamron 17-50mm you should probably be looking at) you should probably buy new. Tamron in particular because one of the benefits to that brand is the 6 year warranty. In addition you probably won't save a ton by buying used in that class, so it is probably not worth the risk. Glass that is still available for sell (and worth buying) holds it's value very well.

Nice skyline, and welcome. We are glad to have you here.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr