Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks Don!

Hi to all sony users, i'm just starting with all dslr expirience now(i mean in a very very near future), and given all itching my mastercard feels to be used 2 get A350 i have a quick q 2 ask about lenses:
    i'm not gonna do nothing pro-like, just family and travel photo but should i get 1680CZ instead of stock and no 70-300 at all, or should i stick with 1 or 2 tamron lenses like 18-250 i'm reading so much about. money r not limited @ this point, but i dont wanna pay and noy use.
    tnx wlad

Personally, if I were starting out all over again, and I wasn't trying to be crazy about what I spent and still wanted top drawer imagery ... I would buy the following, without hesitation:

1. SONY α700 ($999 @ SONY Style, on line)
    2. SONY CZ 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 ($699)
    3. TAMRON SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD MACRO ($699)
    4. SONY HVL-F58AM Electronic Flash ($449)

I would then pick up a TAMRON SP AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di-II LD Ultra Wide-Angle lens ($499) to get the wide stuff ... and then for the Super-telephoto, the TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD lens ($799) to finish it up.

There just will be little need to ever upgrade this kit, unless you need superior imaging (inspected by pros). Until you have the first four items in this list, don't even worry about anything else. LOL I am just trying to save you some valuable time, if you have the cash for it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-16-2009 at 12:13 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

tnx don schap 4 advise. i guess i'll go with 1680 CZ lenses for now, and if needed i'll get telephoto from tamron. can u recomend me any books i should read about photografy besides 167p owners manual?

You might want to check this out ...

http://digital-photography-school.co...for-beginners/

Peter

A big ol' WELCOME to the new 2009 SONY DSLR users. Register and participate. Everybody participating is anxious to spread ideas and knowledge to improve what you will get out of your new camera.

For goodness sake, don't be shy. Unlike other forums ... we all seem to be good-natured and friendly. So ... hop in, the water's fine!
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I second the above motion, come on folks there has to be some more folks that got Alpha's for the holidays and are watching and lurking, pick a cool name and jump in!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Well, Mark and SAF got the message ... good stuff. Heck, we may just have enough guys for a baseball team, this spring.

flickr & Sdi

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by wlad78 View Post
    tnx don schap 4 advise. i guess i'll go with 1680 CZ lenses for now, and if needed i'll get telephoto from tamron. can u recomend me any books i should read about photografy besides 167p owners manual?
    "Wlad" ... there is a book that I would like to recommend as "mandatory reading" when it comes to Photography. Call it a "Primer", of sorts. There is a lot of good information in it and if you simply practice some of the suggestions ... in real time, you can incorporate the lessons into your daily decision making when it comes to different photography subjects.

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition) (Paperback)
    (<- click on this link) by Bryan Peterson

Grab on to your camera ... carry it around with you ... and just practice ... varying the MANUAL settings ... see what works for something and what does not. Heck, just sit back in your easy chair and shoot up the room in low light. See what limitations you encounter.

Go outside and have a friend drive the car down the street and pass you (@15 mph - nothing excessive)... try and stop the wheels from turning with shutter speed.

Try to understand the value and limitations of the "Super SteadyShot", which is part of the magic of a SONY DSLR.
    1. Indoors, with your camera, sit still in a chair (not at a table), arms free of support
    2. Do not use flash
    3. Turn "off" the SSS (Super SteadyShot)
    4. Put the camera in "S" Mode
    5. Set ISO to 800 or 1600
    6. Start taking images of your subject with a shutter speed of 1/250, try and hold the camera handheld as steady as you can and then progressively up the shutter-speed of the camera 160, 125, 90, 60, 30, 15, 8.
    7. Turn "SSS" back on ... and repeat step 5

Head back to your computer and review each shot. Compare the identical speeds with SSS on and off. Works pretty good, doesn't it?

Good luck and welcome aboard. Let's see some stuff!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-17-2009 at 08:34 AM.

flickr & Sdi

New Sony DSLR owner here!

Hi all,

I'm a new Sony DSLR owner. Just had my Alpha 200 last December 28, 2008. Here're my Specs..LOL

Rig:
    Sony Alpha 200 DSLR
    Minolta Dynax 300si Film SLR

Lens:
    SAL1870 18-70mm f3.5-5.6 "Kit Lens"
    Quantaray 70-300mm f4-5.6
    Minolta AF 75-300mm f4.5-5.6 "Big Beercan"
    Minolta AF 35-70mm f3.5-5.6

Also check out my photo blog:
    http://totusphotography.blogspot.com

www.flickr.com/totusjoyce14

I'm fairly new to photography, see please comment on my pictures. I need to learn more.