Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Welcome

Have you messed at all with the intelligent preview function? You can mess with WB and DRO settings and then retake it again.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I have used the preview function. Although, it's location could be better. You need to have a real steady hand because if you're not careful it tends to move the camera when you push down.

Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    Now, to the issues I've experienced with the A900. When shooting in shaded areas, I sometimes get a bluish tint on grey concrete buildings. It's annoying. . I think it has to do with the white balance setting and I'm still trying to figure it out .
    Congratulations of the A900, it is a wonderful camera!

I think the best you can do is start shooting raw. You can then adapt the white balance, compensate exposure, adapt the tone curve, fix vignetting etc...

I do not know what kind of raw converter you are using at the moment but in your situation where I guess you like to have corner to corner sharpness (even when shooting at maximum aperture) and prefer to be able to eliminate any distortion, I believe you should give DxO a try. You can download a trial for 14 days twice. You can check out on their website whether they support the lenses you are using. They've also got a long list of lenses they are going to support in future. At the moment I am mostly using Capture One but DxO is very rewarding in certain situations such as yours.

Cheers, Bob.

Bob,

Thanks for the DxO recommendation. I shoot in both raw and JPEGs. I'm using the raw converter that came with the A900 in combination with PS. Since I don't have a lot of time for post-production, I try my hardest to get the image I want to capture while I'm shooting it.

Question What happened to "time in the darkroom?"

Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    Since I don't have a lot of time for post-production, I try my hardest to get the image I want to capture while I'm shooting it.
    Composition is one thing, but there are (without a doubt) going to be issues in most compositions that probably could use some ... digital modification. In film photography, you would use burning and dodging ... which is time-consuming and rather inaccurate, Say it is a stray reflectance from some 'in-frame' object or a completely obscured part you would like to include, but from your vantage point with at particular shot ... just isn't possible. Tada ... post-processing to the rescue ... and the more practice you have doing it, the better.

Happily, you are not "stuck" with you you see ... you can make the detected improvements and assemble an "improved" and more "refined" image, with post processing. Many have been the portrait where what you see is NOT what you want to get. Blemishes and other uncomplimentary items can be virtually removed and make for a much more pleasant, is not so accurate composition. I have to admit, I am not too keen on accentuating wrinkles. Perhaps one or two, but when they begin do a mosaic on my subject ... that kind of reality is decidedly something most of us can live without.

Call it "the other half" of a good image.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-05-2009 at 12:11 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don:

I hear you loud and clear!!! I certainly do touch ups and tweak the images I shoot. I just don't have a lot of time and would much rather be outdoors snapping away!!!
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

hello everybody!

I just purchased the a200 and got a great deal (mainly because it was being discontinued) but im pleased non the less!
    already been out and about taking all sorts of pictures and having a play around with various settings to try and understand all about the world of digital photography! most pictures are poor at the moment, but im just having fun seeing the changes between settings and stuff. only on the basic 18-70mm lens so will eventually want something new - my preference is shooting action stuff, cars, sports and things - still i dont expect anything amazing, but would be nice to one day get to shooting decent quality shots.

enjoying the forum so far and the help and support you give looks second to none! i look forward to getting to know you

Tom

Hello everyone!

I am a complete amateur. I purchased an A200 last summer (2008), and have been having a lot of fun with it. My father has been into photography for decades, and is a Nikon person. I started having doubts as to the wisdom of my choice, but he kept saying "Sony is here to stay; be patient". And look at this week's announcements! I see now he was right. Besides, I have so much to learn, the camera does not matter much at this point. But I am going to have a hard time staying away from the the A550.
    Glad to see there's a group of Alpha users here.

Juan

Welcome Juan!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Thumbs up Welcome aboard

Hello Juan and Tom ... we ARE a friendly and most helpful group, I would hazard to say. We occasionally have our "invaders" from other manufacturer's forums, enjoying a cheap shot or a contentious viewpoint when the occasion arises, but for the most part ... good and solid experience is offered ... and if there is none ... we make some!

Feel free to post an image that interested you because you either could not get it quite the way you wanted or need some assistance identifying a problem you are having.

The α200 is a popular introductory model to start with, but you will note that eventually you are going to want to expand your capability ... and moving to a higher class camera will be far more ... shall we say, "interesting?"

That being said ... where's that image?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi