Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Thanks, Don.
    I've already realized I could use a higher-end camera. The only problem is the budgetary constraint Doesn't bother me that much yet because I have so much learn.

Quick question: what size do they like to keep the images posted under? If I ever post one, I don't want to be posting something huge.

Post Normal posting size

Quote Originally Posted by jr_rodriguez View Post
    Quick question: what size do they like to keep the images posted under? If I ever post one, I don't want to be posting something huge.
    Posting around 800x600 or vice-versa usually does the trick and is the "accepted" default size.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Ok Don, here's an image:

Comments?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lightbulb Changing the background

It a trifle small ... you could post a bit bigger. Just makes it easier to see.

The focus on the bird is right where it should be.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-31-2009 at 08:41 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by jr_rodriguez View Post
    Ok Don, here's an image:

Comments?
    I'd hit a tight crop starting at the birds feathers but to one its own.
    sony A300
    tamron 17-50 2.8
    Sony SAL 11-18
    Sony 35 1.8

Well, here's another try...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That works for me ... good job.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks, Don. I took it with my new SAL-50f18. It's the only lens I have besides the two kit lenses that came with my a200. I know having good glass will help a lot, but I can't afford it right now. I am saving my pennies, though
    Glad people have been so kind.

Glass is something that requires patience and planning. The worst thing you can do is buy a lens that is not "up to snuff." On the DCRP, we try to suggest lenses that work for the best results ... and are not always the top lens in the pile.

Let's face it, everyone should desire superior glass. I mean, that's the idea ... so you do not have to worry about what your equipment is going to do to butcher an image. The best glass offers the least damage, so to speak.

There are compromises ... and I have listed them in the first posting or "sticky" thread in the SONY Digital SLRs forum. These are reasonably priced lenses for overall shooting. Obviously, if you have specific images you want to create, there are other lenses that deal with that kind of thing. They, too, are listed in the sticky post, but more towards the end of the thread.

I sincerely hope this helps focus your photography in the right direction.

flickr & Sdi

Glass is something that requires patience and planning. The worst thing you can do is buy a lens that is not "up to snuff." On the DCRP, we try to suggest lenses that work for the best results ... and are not always the "top lens" in the pile.

Let's face it, everyone should desire superior glass. I mean, that's the idea ... so you do not have to worry about what your equipment is going to do to butcher an image. The best glass offers the least damage, so to speak.

There are compromises ... and I have listed them in the first posting or "sticky" thread in the SONY Digital SLRs forum. These are reasonably priced lenses for overall shooting. Obviously, if you have specific images you want to create, there are other lenses that deal with that kind of thing. They, too, are listed in the sticky post, but more towards the end of the thread.

I sincerely hope this helps focus your photography in the right direction. It really does pay to do your homework when shopping for a lens. Ask about the resources. Heck, ask about the specific lens you have in mind and listen to the resources cited. But, do not buy a lens UNTIL you have done the leg work ... otherwise, that could be expensive and make for a frustrating experience.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-01-2009 at 06:47 PM.

flickr & Sdi