Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Wow great link Don, printed that off and put in the self help binder. Hmmnn looking at my last post I wonder if I wasn't paying attebtion or if the laptop at work has some sticky keys LOL, sorry about the spelling
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

I tell ya, it is really getting kind of hard to get with the program that is "hidden" ... and in light of all these other camera announcements going on.

C'mon ... Nikon announces "mid-week?" What the heck? Just too strange.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I must say the nikon's HD recording ability using interchangeable lenses is very cool! I doubt the a900 will have video but it better make up through a better choice of lenses, improved noise control at higher ISOs, more features, and megapixels!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Getting back on thread...

Getting back on thread, where Don wanted to know about our experiences, there is one thing that would save me a lot of time.

As has been widely discussed, the Sonys do tend to be "soft" on base settings. I know that many advanced shots (should) require manual mode, and setting the individual parameters, which vary every time, but for many of my uses, the ability to use a saved, custom mode, created from baseline with adjustments, OR modify the baseline, would save a lot of time.

Every time the camera is shut off to save batteries, these changes for the prevailing conditions are lost.

I'd like to make a few adjustments for lighting and other conditions, and after a few test and tune shots, save the setup for the duration of an active session shooting some activity.

Unless I've completely missed the boat (always a possibility), I don't find any way to do this, either with the camera, or via software update from my pc.

Cripes, even my Canon S3 supports this ability!

I agree. It seems everytime I turn on my a700, I set the creative style to 'vivid' and the ISO to 100. I'd prefer for those settings to be default. I would think there would be a way to do this, maybe I just haven't dug deep enough. When all else fails, read the manual, right?!

Kerry

Birchblaze ...

1) Initially, turn "Mode" knob (top of A700) to whatever mode you want the camera to remember
    2) Then set all the particular settings you want the camera to remember for that mode
    3) When done with the settings, press the "Menu" button
    4) Under the Camera icon ... screen 4 ... there is a selection called "Memory"
    5) When you activate it (press shutter halfway) ... a new screen will pop up requesting you select one of the three memory registers
    5) Depress the joystick or shutter, when you select which register you want to contain the setting information.
    6) Switch the Mode knob (top of α700) to "MR"
    7) Pick which one of the three memory registers you immediately want the setting from
    8) Operate and modify the settings from that point as you wish.
    9) Later on, if you turn the mode knob back to Aperture, Shutter, Manual or Program Mode, the camera should restore whatever setting you were working with under those.
    10) Turn the Mode knob back to "MR" whenever you want to use your custom settings, again.

I hope this helps
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-16-2009 at 12:10 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Too bad they didn't think to add this until the 700. I'd suspect the total number of 100s, 200s, 300s, and 350s is much greater than 700s in use.

Oh well, at least they eventually got there.

Hi

I am a recent buyer of an A200, have been mainly on Auto mode so far but just starting to experiment with all the manual and program modes.
    Used to understand more about apertures etc when I was young but is all a distant memory.
    Good to find a dedicated forum so will do some reading about and look forward to lots of good advice.
    Loving the camera, and it can only get better!

Cheers Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimothyy View Post
    Hi

I am a recent buyer of an A200, have been mainly on Auto mode so far but just starting to experiment with all the manual and program modes.
    Used to understand more about apertures etc when I was young but is all a distant memory.
    Good to find a dedicated forum so will do some reading about and look forward to lots of good advice.
    Loving the camera, and it can only get better!

Cheers Jim
    Welcome. You got to get out of AUTO mode!! What lenses are you using? Switch it to "A" mode and use a lower aperture for more bokeh (blur) and faster subjects. Use a higher aperture (larger number) for slower still subjects that you want more depth of field. Also set your ISO to 100 for daylight for better pictures!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Welcome. You got to get out of AUTO mode!! What lenses are you using? Switch it to "A" mode and use a lower aperture for more bokeh (blur) and faster subjects. Use a higher aperture (larger number) for slower still subjects that you want more depth of field. Also set your ISO to 100 for daylight for better pictures!
    Thanks mate, i'm using the standard issue 18-70 lense at the moment. Have had a good play with manual mode and tried to fast track a bit. The A mode sounds like a good way of getting more experience of aperture and getting my head round it all.
    Will keep at 100 in the day as advised then.