Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    For my photo needs, I felt the A200 would be a great step up from a Minolta Maxxum slr film camera. I've only had it a couple of weeks and am still learning, but so far, I like everything about it, except the automatic pop up flash. I hope I didn't make a mistake in buying this one. I often use the pre-set scene modes (lazy), but am sorry that the flash is built into these modes. I know I can turn it off by using the Function button, but what a pain to have to do that every time. While using scene modes, I want to use the flash, but it's an invalid function on some of them. Sometimes I think I've taken the shot, but it was just the flash popping up! I wish there was a way to turn the flash off until I decide to use it. Quite annoying...

Quote Originally Posted by csnyder View Post
    For my photo needs, I felt the A200 would be a great step up from a Minolta Maxxum slr film camera. I've only had it a couple of weeks and am still learning, but so far, I like everything about it, except the automatic pop up flash. I hope I didn't make a mistake in buying this one. I often use the pre-set scene modes (lazy), but am sorry that the flash is built into these modes. I know I can turn it off by using the Function button, but what a pain to have to do that every time. While using scene modes, I want to use the flash, but it's an invalid function on some of them. Sometimes I think I've taken the shot, but it was just the flash popping up! I wish there was a way to turn the flash off until I decide to use it. Quite annoying...
    Welcome! It's definitely a step up! You should start using the A/S/P/M modes more often. They give you huge control over mainly DOF and other things like motion blur if you are panning. WB (white balance) can be adjusted later which is what those scene modes are. Also be sure to set your ISO manually for the best results!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I use Aperture mode most of the time as long as you keep checking your histogram to make sure you don't blow out any of the highlights. I start with it at f/8 and then adjust it from there.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

There have got to be more than seven (7) SONY DSLR users on this forum ... good gosh!

Come on, folks, make yourself heard. We can have a lot of fun ... but, we need to spread the wealth a little. I hope I am being helpful, because it is not that much fun doing it alone.

Let's hear from ya ... login and join in.

Thank you
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-22-2008 at 09:11 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Question Back to basics ...

Anyone know the three basics to good photography?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-25-2008 at 11:45 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

theme, subject, simplicity? (cheatsheet?)

or is it what I was thinking along the lines of lighting, composition, and something else?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

You are close ... for six guesses ... LOL

1. Decide on your subject
    2. Compose the image
    3. Expose the image

This webpage will explain a great deal and it would behoove everyone to simply read it and try to understand it, as it embodies phoptographic flow and control.

Armed with these practices and your stabilized SONY DLSR ... you should be able to render excellent images ... but, the main point being, YOU are the deciding factor. It is YOUR decision that brings us to step #1.

I'm not saying that the other manufacturer's cameras cannot do it, but WHY BOTHER? Any lens you buy (UWA, normal, telephoto, MACRO, Tilt-Shift, PRIME) will all benefit from the in-the-body stabilization ... and once you've experience its use ... you will wonder WHY anyone would NOT want it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-26-2008 at 09:32 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Will take a look, thank you!
    flickr

the three basics

aren't they: Watch Wait Shoot, repeat
    There are rules that are required to be followed to make good photographs, Don says something about that concerning the physical and optical laws of the universe Then there are "rules" for proper tyoes of photos, action, portrit etc. that address composition, exposure, sight lines etc. and all are good to know, and to try and follow. and once you understand those you can get into the real fun of creating images. as I am finding out there is always something new and different to learn or try!
    But man why is it so HARD to learn the basics
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Optically speaking: "We'll have to take a look at that."

flickr & Sdi