Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Talking New SONY DSLR owners

After about 6 months of SONY selling the α200, α300 & α350 introductory digital SLRs ... it would be nice if people visiting this particular forum logged in and made their presence known.

I know I am curious as to what difficulties are being experienced and how we, as a collective group, might correct them.

Welcome new users ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-16-2009 at 12:08 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Welcome... . Loving the a300 from day 1
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Cool SONY Super Steady Shot

A year ago I bought a SONY DSC-H9 and have been crazy happy with the photos it takes. I purchased SONY's Alpha 350 a few months ago, my sixth SONY camera since 2002, in order to take my amateur photography skills up a notch. My son and I are convinced the Super Steady Shot does not work the same way for the two cameras. With the DSC-H9, SSS puts the image in slow motion, whereas in Alpha 350's Live View the image appears to be no different whether the SSS is turned off or on. For sure, taking clearly focused photos during sporting events - i.e. shooting skiers behind a boat using the Sport setting - is easier by far with the DSC-H9. I began to think my Alpha 350 was defective and I sent it to SONY's repair site in Laredo, TX for analysis and repairs (none needed because the camera was working as designed, according to the repair expert). One more thing. I've noticed that the Alpha 350 Auto Focus (AF) is very sensitive to the position of the center square. Putting that square squarely on the subject makes a big difference, but must the square be so small?
    Any suggestions?
    Frank
    Brentwood, TN

You set your AF area to wide and live with the results. There is a technique, I described in an earlier post, that allows you to shift the frame AFTER you accquire focus on your subject.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

SONY Super Steady Shot

Don,

Your quick response was appreciated.

Hmmmm... set AF as wide as possible. Not sure how, but I'll experiment this weekend. As a newbie to this site, I would be grateful for any clue you can provide to help me find your earlier post on this subject.

Frank
    Brentwood, TN

It seems like you just need to get adjusted to your camera's new settings.

This is that post about 10 down:
    http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40448

Wide focuses on the closest object (most p&s default to this)
    Spot is in the middle
    and multi segment is explained in the above thread I linked.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Lightbulb Moving the focal point ... in frame

This is from the α700 User Manual, pg 51 ... describing your requested shooting technique. The idea is the same on any SONY DSLR.

Name:  Shooting-Techniques.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  180.0 KB

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-16-2009 at 12:09 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Sony fan

Have owned the Sony A700 since late June, love it learn something new everyday, making lots of mistakes and having a blast. Was going to go with a A200 or a 300 to "learn" how to use a DSLR. best advice I ever listened to was to go with the A700.
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    ... Welcome new users ...
    I've been lurking and reading Don's helpful posts for a few months as I was researching my new toy that arrived today: an A700. First impressions: very NICE!

A little about me: I was a photography major in college before moving into graphic design. Fast forward 15 years, now a Macintosh consultant with a creative itch and I recently started shooting weddings again on the side. I have a decent set up from those years, a 7000i with a few lenses, flash, etc. When I decided to upgrade to a DSLR, I found that Minolta had left me behind, but not out in the cold.

However, I was disappointed tonight to find out that my flash would not work with the new body. I have a Quantaray (don't laugh, I worked Ritz camera during college and got a nice discount) set up with an off camera bracket and handle that held 4 C batteries. It still works with my 7000i and the Alpha even senses it when attached, but no dice when firing the shutter.

So now I'm in the market for a new flash and not finding a lot choices out there. I like having the off camera flash combined with bounce as it gives nicer lighting, extra power options and the extra handle to hold on (potato masher is the old school term I believe). Quantaray doesn't appear to offer an updated module for the Sony/Minolta mount. Do I have any options besides the Sony flashes and a couple of Metzs I saw?

BTW, I've put up a little website here of some weddings I've done in the past. I have a film shoot coming up in 2 weeks, and my first digital near the end of September, so I've got some time, but not much.

Shawn

Lightbulb Flash suggestions

Well, the SONY HVL-F36AM is going for the cheapest price I have seen for a dedicated flash ($199) on the SONY Style website. I have one, but in my experience, I feel for the α700 ... the much more expensive HVL-F58AM (when it arrives) will offers aspects to your flash that were only enjoyed by having additional brackets.

Name:  HLV-F58AM mounted.JPG
Views: 1288
Size:  7.1 KB

With this new flash, you don't need a bracket for repositioning in the portrait mode. But, hey ... take a look at it.

Name:  hvl-f58am-sidebounce.jpg
Views: 2703
Size:  93.2 KB

Name:  HLV-F58AM rear.JPG
Views: 1911
Size:  17.9 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-16-2009 at 12:09 PM.

flickr & Sdi