Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Chicago Air & Water Show 2008

Name:  awBanner.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  92.2 KB

Obviously, this display is not one where you can just walk up to the aircraft and do an inspection. Everything happens either out on Lake Michigan or over it and the beaches. Oh sure, they have a mock beach assault ... but, again, the populous is roped off and no touchie-feelie!

Tomorrow, @ 11:00AM ... the overhead barrage of aircraft begins, along the lakefront. We shall see what we shall see ... @ 200-500mm!

BTW: I did purchase a new respectable 86mm CPL for the long glass ... and yes, there goes another $100+. I hope the sky makes good use of it, but it looks like a clear day, so ... probably no clouds.

Name:  Chicago A&W Show.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  290.7 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-15-2008 at 06:24 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

So if it's a clear day then the CPL should do nicely!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Angry Missing the boat ...

Well, I got down here just a little later than I probably should have ... and all the parking was gone for miles around. Too nice a day, I suspect. Anyway, as I made the circuit in the truck, about the same number of people who were already on the lakefront were still inbound. Honestly, it only got worse. So ... tomorrow. I'm not fight two million people for airplane shots I already took a couple weeks ago. LOL <- not!

The weather was a problem ... in reverse.

I considered driving downtown, to the Hancock Center ... to photograph from there. Those could be some unique shots. I need to investigate the option a little more, though.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-16-2008 at 04:22 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

awww, that's too bad. oh well there's always next year!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Nah, there's always tomorrow.

I'm going to go about this entirely different, this year. I am going to the John Hancock Observatory ... about a 1000 feet up in the air. This is the tallest, near-to-shore location available. (You can see the building towering in Air Show poster). Nothing like a little variation on a theme, eh?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-18-2008 at 07:29 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Yep ... and entirely different feel from 1000 feet

Here are some of my favorites ...

First a rescue ...

Name:  Rescue-from-JHC.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  280.0 KB

Name:  Rescue(2)-from-JHC.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  268.8 KB

Then a couple of aerobatics ...

Name:  racers-from-JHC.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  201.9 KB

The Harrier AV-8B

Name:  AV-8B-hover.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  345.6 KB

The B1B Bomber ...

Name:  B1B-from-JHC(1).jpg
Views: 316
Size:  249.2 KB

Name:  B1B-from-JHC(2).jpg
Views: 226
Size:  197.9 KB

The Hornet, F-18A

Name:  F-18-Tail-Dance.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  330.1 KB

The Eagle, F-15C

Name:  f-15C.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  187.4 KB

The Raptor, F-22

Name:  F-22-from-JHC(1).jpg
Views: 208
Size:  328.5 KB

Awesome location, but they need to loose the windows ... screws with the focus. The best part, a whole different background to play with, eh?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-17-2008 at 10:34 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Talking Of course, the "Blue Angels" flight team

Name:  BA-in-play.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  296.4 KB

Name:  BA-from-the-top.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  323.4 KB

Name:  Diamond-Down.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  481.0 KB

Name:  BA-Four-Amigos.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  302.1 KB

Name:  BA-soloist.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  309.6 KB

Anyway, a fun time ... but, pack a lunch! LOL
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-17-2008 at 10:35 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Smile And then ... let's appreciate the Sunday crowd

Here's a panorama of the North Avenue Beach, from the John Hancock Center Observatory looking north:

Name:  North-Avenue-Beach_Panorama.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  371.4 KB

They are reporting that 3 million people attending this 50th Annnual event. Judging by what I experienced on Saturday ... I do not doubt it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-18-2008 at 07:28 AM.

flickr & Sdi

they're so tiny! lol

but very cool to see them flying so low to the water. that's a ton of people, glad to see you made it out!

And I see the raptor was back in action!
    Last edited by dr4gon; 08-18-2008 at 09:58 AM.
    flickr

Talking The growing populous ...

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    they're so tiny! lol

but very cool to see them flying so low to the water. that's a ton of people, glad to see you made it out!
    This ... should make them look a little bigger. Just add a 500mm lens!

Name:  The-beach-500mm-1000-ft-up.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  449.2 KB

flickr & Sdi