Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
 
 
 
   
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Posts
    225
    Rhys is right. For shooting jewelery or any other products I'd recommend something like this.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Posts
    7,147
    Generally, jewelery - unless it's for a large display can be shot adequately with a compact and a small light tent with adequate illumination from below and all around. In fact, you can even make the light tent from white foamboard with some small halogen lamps hidden out of view.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    107
    My recommendation would be to simply build your own rig out of PVC pipe. This way you can control all aspects of the design and will pay a few dollars as opposed to spending $30 and trying to make something work that doesn't really.

    All you need is to sketch it out, get a 1/2" pvc pipe, elbows, etc. And place a T connector in the middle with a cap that takes the standard tripod bolt. And it can do double duty to place lighting for your soft box.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Posts
    7,147
    Quote Originally Posted by James DeRuvo DHQ View Post
    My recommendation would be to simply build your own rig out of PVC pipe. This way you can control all aspects of the design and will pay a few dollars as opposed to spending $30 and trying to make something work that doesn't really.

    All you need is to sketch it out, get a 1/2" pvc pipe, elbows, etc. And place a T connector in the middle with a cap that takes the standard tripod bolt. And it can do double duty to place lighting for your soft box.
    This sounds good BUT PVC pipe is so flexible that this is a complete and utter waste of time and money.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Jewelery uses a different technique. That's usually placed on white plexiglass/perspex illuminated from below and from above.
    true - but i still need something to hold the camera and also, because i'm mainly doing body jewellery i just use a macro lens and a ring flash

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Generally, jewelery - unless it's for a large display can be shot adequately with a compact and a small light tent with adequate illumination from below and all around. In fact, you can even make the light tent from white foamboard with some small halogen lamps hidden out of view.
    i find when i use a light tent i lose all the sparkle - no shadows which is good but the whole thing looks dead

    because i have generally had little equipment to work with i have tended to think a little outside the square - if i can get a nice crisp hi res image to start with i can pretty much do anything in photoshop

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Margus View Post
    Rhys is right. For shooting jewelery or any other products I'd recommend something like this.
    overkill for what i'm doing and i just wouldnt have the room - i do all my stuff while i'm working in the shop, so i usually have about 30cm square to work in.

    i want the stand because after the first 50 or so images my back is killing me and i could work faster if i was just sliding the jewellery under the camera setup

    this is my website www.perfectjewellery.com.au

    fashion jewellery and body jewellery - i recon my images are pretty good seeing as i dont really have any equipment, (none of these is taken with a macro) i usually photograph the stuff on a sheet of white paper beside the computer sorry, i'm know i'm making all you pro's cringe!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Posts
    7,147
    I looked at your square CZ. The lighting lost the sparkle in the CZ. It's tricky to get sparkle. I presume you're using a compact with macro capabilities?

    What I would suggest (the background is not that important but the sparkle is) is a generally diffused light shining from above and a small halogen shining from below - that should add some sparkle.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    I looked at your square CZ. The lighting lost the sparkle in the CZ. It's tricky to get sparkle. I presume you're using a compact with macro capabilities?

    What I would suggest (the background is not that important but the sparkle is) is a generally diffused light shining from above and a small halogen shining from below - that should add some sparkle.
    the sparkle is really hard to get with the square ones - they're just not the right cut.

    i'm using a canon eos 400d - but i took those photos with just the standard lens under horrible fluro lighting - now that i've got a macro i'l take them again.

    the biggest problem i have is that clear stones and silver jewellery tend to all look grey and dull - i'll try what you've suggested

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •