Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rhys is right. For shooting jewelery or any other products I'd recommend something like this.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Generally, jewelery - unless it's for a large display can be shot adequately with a compact and a small light tent with adequate illumination from below and all around. In fact, you can even make the light tent from white foamboard with some small halogen lamps hidden out of view.

My recommendation would be to simply build your own rig out of PVC pipe. This way you can control all aspects of the design and will pay a few dollars as opposed to spending $30 and trying to make something work that doesn't really.

All you need is to sketch it out, get a 1/2" pvc pipe, elbows, etc. And place a T connector in the middle with a cap that takes the standard tripod bolt. And it can do double duty to place lighting for your soft box.

Quote Originally Posted by James DeRuvo DHQ View Post
    My recommendation would be to simply build your own rig out of PVC pipe. This way you can control all aspects of the design and will pay a few dollars as opposed to spending $30 and trying to make something work that doesn't really.

All you need is to sketch it out, get a 1/2" pvc pipe, elbows, etc. And place a T connector in the middle with a cap that takes the standard tripod bolt. And it can do double duty to place lighting for your soft box.
    This sounds good BUT PVC pipe is so flexible that this is a complete and utter waste of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Jewelery uses a different technique. That's usually placed on white plexiglass/perspex illuminated from below and from above.
    true - but i still need something to hold the camera and also, because i'm mainly doing body jewellery i just use a macro lens and a ring flash

Generally, jewelery - unless it's for a large display can be shot adequately with a compact and a small light tent with adequate illumination from below and all around. In fact, you can even make the light tent from white foamboard with some small halogen lamps hidden out of view.
    i find when i use a light tent i lose all the sparkle - no shadows which is good but the whole thing looks dead

because i have generally had little equipment to work with i have tended to think a little outside the square - if i can get a nice crisp hi res image to start with i can pretty much do anything in photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by Margus View Post
    Rhys is right. For shooting jewelery or any other products I'd recommend something like this.
    overkill for what i'm doing and i just wouldnt have the room - i do all my stuff while i'm working in the shop, so i usually have about 30cm square to work in.

i want the stand because after the first 50 or so images my back is killing me and i could work faster if i was just sliding the jewellery under the camera setup

this is my website www.perfectjewellery.com.au

fashion jewellery and body jewellery - i recon my images are pretty good seeing as i dont really have any equipment, (none of these is taken with a macro) i usually photograph the stuff on a sheet of white paper beside the computer sorry, i'm know i'm making all you pro's cringe!

I looked at your square CZ. The lighting lost the sparkle in the CZ. It's tricky to get sparkle. I presume you're using a compact with macro capabilities?

What I would suggest (the background is not that important but the sparkle is) is a generally diffused light shining from above and a small halogen shining from below - that should add some sparkle.

I looked at your square CZ. The lighting lost the sparkle in the CZ. It's tricky to get sparkle. I presume you're using a compact with macro capabilities?

What I would suggest (the background is not that important but the sparkle is) is a generally diffused light shining from above and a small halogen shining from below - that should add some sparkle.
    the sparkle is really hard to get with the square ones - they're just not the right cut.

i'm using a canon eos 400d - but i took those photos with just the standard lens under horrible fluro lighting - now that i've got a macro i'l take them again.

the biggest problem i have is that clear stones and silver jewellery tend to all look grey and dull - i'll try what you've suggested