Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A bad CP-filter

I posted an image of the "push-on lens cap" ... mounted. See above ^
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

cool thanks. what would you consider wide angle on the FF and aps-c sensors?

10-18mm on FF?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I have not seen a 10mm on a FF. Usually the distortion is so bad, after 14mm ... it's not practical.

Maybe someone has some input on this, but it is definitely not common. When you put a 10mm lens on the SONY APS-C sensor ... it effectively becomes a 15mm lens.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yeah due to the aps-c 1.5x crop factor.

But at what range would you consider to be an ultra wide angle to warrant a thinner lens filter?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Post Vignettes on a UWA w/ CPL

Oh ... LOL ... sorry.

Okay, on the SIGMA 10-20mm f/4-5.6 UWA ... on the A700, 10mm and 11mm have visible vignetting with the Standard CPL on it. It shows nothing with the low profile CPL on it.

10mm f/4
    Name:  10mm-f4.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  77.6 KB

11mm f/4
    Name:  11mm-f4.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  77.3 KB

12mm f/4

Name:  12mm-f4.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  88.1 KB

What it will do on the A900, literally, remains to be seen. LOL

For what it is worth.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-27-2008 at 06:42 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Alright, I don't have anything that wide, and don't plan to anytime soon. 17mm is wide enough for me for the time being.

I cannot wait to see the A900 and what is to come afterwards (A700 refresh). As far as naming, they should have increased the number further to allow more room for expansion.
    flickr

Back in the original subject ... the KM 24-105mm f/3.5-4.5 "D" (<- click link for a rather fresh review) showed up, today .. and I placed the 62mm SUNPACK CPL on it. Oh boy ... another upgrade CPL needs to be ordered or purchased. Man oh man ... the image degradation is just unacceptable.

I now have four 62mm-filter lenses, (18-250, 70-300, 24-105 & 28-300), so springing for a single high-end CPL probably isn't that far out of reach. I knew I should have just bought it, when I was milling around at Calumet ... but, I resisted. Darn it all ... another trip to the camera store. Only this time, ALL the SUNPAK CPLs I have get replaced with CALUMETs (Hoya's in disguise), a couple of step-down filter rings and save some gas.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-28-2008 at 04:19 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Interesting. Until I saw this I had only the word on the street to go by regarding filter quality. Oh yes - and some experience of off-brand 1A filters versus a HMC UV filter which convinced me to go Hoya HMC for everything. No my opinion is confirmed. I don't touch filters unless they say "Hoya HMC" on them!

Well, as far as UVs go ... the only issue I had was with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens. It actually distorted the autofocus. That was whacked.

Anyway, like you, Rhys, I took that up to a Hoya UV and was quite relieved when it began working properly.

SUNPAK CPL sales have seen the last of my money. I do not recommend using them ... beyond cheaper, low-end lenses.

Good luck.

flickr & Sdi

Cool

Well, the step-down filter rings were unavailable and had to be ordered from the manufacturer, Tiffen. So when they will show up is anyone's guess. Not a big deal, I just wanted to use them to adapt the SONY RING LAMP (HVL-RLAM) and my more frugal RING FLASH to the front of the 62mm (28-300, 18-250, 24-105, 70-300) and 67mm (17-50, 28-75) lenses. As it stands, it will only mount on the 55mm (90mm f/2.8 MACRO, 50mm f/1.4) and 49mm (50mm f/1.4, 28mm f/2.8, 35-70mm f/4) lenses ...

Name:  ring-light.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  133.5 KB Name:  ring-flash-on-sony+90mm-w-blur.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  243.3 KB

The biggest disappointment is not being able to use it with the SP AF 180mm f/3.5 Di LD MACRO (72mm) lens. But when those step-down rings arrive ... we shall see.

The RING LAMP is only good for subjects no more than a foot away. Any further and you'll be using LONG exposure. But then again, let's face it, any further and you could use an external flash and reflector to get the job done.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-28-2008 at 04:26 PM.

flickr & Sdi