Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A bad CP-filter

I always use the lens hood but didn't know if flares or anything like that would be an issue, I guess not!

That's good, whew, I can save some money for a change!

On a side note, I'm retarded and just realized my two lenses were threaded differently the other week. I could've sworn they were the same. But aprently 62mm<67mm.... crazy, I know right?

One time I was able to fit my UV filter on the 70-300 but I think I had it on backwards or something rofl..... it didn't fit quite right.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Lightbulb If you can only afford one CP ... here's an idea!

Now, here is another idea I have used, when I was starting out, because it allows you to use one large CP-filter on all sorts of other filter-diameters ()

This is the SONY AF 50mm/f/1.4 (55mm) lens + 55mm-62mm adapter + 62mm-77mm adapter + 77mm CPL filter.

Name:  Filter-ring-adapters(1).jpg
Views: 113
Size:  344.9 KB

So, as you can imagine, if you had the rings for your various lenses ... one large CP could do a lot of work for you. You will have to use a large lens hood for this ... as the one that came with the lens will no longer fit around this configuration. The lens hood (usually rubber) would have to screw onto the front of the 77mm filter, in this case. Also, consider getting a 77mm lens cap to fit and protect this filter, because this lens' normal 55mm one will no longer fit with the oversized-filter attached.

Here is the same filter being used on the TAMRON AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di LD Aspherical (IF) ... and using only one filter-adapter ring, the 62-77mm.

Name:  filter-adapter(2).jpg
Views: 114
Size:  416.7 KB

I mean ... are we getting the picture of the $aving$ involved here? The rings are about $7-12 depending on size and whatever and you can buy them is all sort of graduations and in sets, to save a couple bucks over the individual prices.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-16-2008 at 12:03 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    I always use the lens hood but didn't know if flares or anything like that would be an issue, I guess not!

That's good, whew, I can save some money for a change!

On a side note, I'm retarded and just realized my two lenses were threaded differently the other week. I could've sworn they were the same. But aprently 62mm<67mm.... crazy, I know right?

One time I was able to fit my UV filter on the 70-300 but I think I had it on backwards or something rofl..... it didn't fit quite right.
    The 70-300mm f/4-5.6 has a 62mm filter ring.

The 17-50mm f/2.8 has a 67mm filter ring.

Don't feel bad ... I almost made a major mistake, myself, when i went into the camera shop asking for an 82mm-filter for the new 200-500mm f/5-6.3 lens. As we all know, class (LOL) ... it is an 86mm filter-ring, right? (All nod your heads.) Anyway, the camera shop salesguy and I both got a very strange looks on our respective faces when we placed the 82mm filter on the 86mm lens front ... and it would not engage (still not realizing it was the incorrect size) ... then, it dawned on us, as we looked and looked for some kind of defect ... LOL. Anyway ... once you look inside the darn lens, written in bright white letters ... 86mm, buzzy! That's when I found out there were no 86mm Circular Polarizers in the Chicago-area, that week. 82mm we had ... 86mm, uh ... no. Oh, for a converter ring, eh? Problem is ... I don't think they make them that big! 77mm may just be the limit. I've got a lot of odd-ball stuff in the bags ... but nothing at 82mm or 86mm. Not too many lenses that large, to be sure. It kind of explains the difficulty in getting filters that large.

If you want to glance at my gear list, I have included filter-ring sizes (highlighted in green) for every one of my lenses, so I would not forget. Honestly, it can get a little confusing from time to time.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-15-2008 at 11:56 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

haha that's a great idea for those stepping rings for filters. I think I may get one of those. For protection, do you use UV filters on all of your lenses? A Promaster digital 67mm UV filter came with my 17-50mm and it's been on ever since. I'm thinking I should probably pick up something for my 90mm (even though it has a recessed front end) just to keep out the dust and hands, etc....

I'm glad you figured out what size you needed. I thought something was wrong with the threading on my lens too!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Question Small Minolta filter-ring? (49mm)

Well, why not push it ... we are working with 49mm lenses, right, with the older Minolta AF lenses.

So, here's the Minolta AF 50mm f/1.4 sporting the 77mm CPL

Name:  filter-ring-(3).jpg
Views: 110
Size:  323.2 KB

and with an extra lens cap

Name:  filter-ring-reverse-(3).jpg
Views: 109
Size:  275.8 KB

flickr & Sdi

For protection, do you use UV filters on all of your lenses?
    My answer is: Negative. In fact, there are only a few I do that with. Mostly, they all have polarizers ... but, as you suggest ... a number do have a UV.

When I do indoor work ... all filters come off ... and I shoot the lens the way it was designed to be. I suppose that does open it to dust, but it also eliminates any optical disortions.

I have caps on everything, front and back, and each lens is individually lens bagged in the backpack, except for the 200-500mm, when it is in there. The standard case for it is just too large to accomodate. I have a pair of "earmuffs", that protect and hold it in place. I also keep it separated from the camera body to prevent undue strain on the mount.

BACKPACK ATTACK!
    Name:  FF-backpack.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  296.5 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-19-2008 at 11:10 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Unhappy CPL issues continued ...

Well ... I kind of got a crazy urge to examine my SUNPAK 77mm CPL a little closer, today ... and placed on the front of the SONY CZ 135mm f/1.8 lens. Oops, that was a mistake. I tell ya, my eyes hurt!

On the Ultra-Wide-Angle, the distortion is hardly noticeable, so I can successfully use it there.

The problem is that it has that similar distortion I got from the OEC CPL, although it is not quite as dramatic. The following are 100% crops.

135mm w/o any filter
    Name:  135-wo-filter.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  267.2 KB

135mm w/ CALUMET MC UV filter
    Name:  135-w-UV-filter.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  275.2 KB

135mm w/ SUNPAK CPL filter
    Name:  135-w-SUNPAK-CPL.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  220.4 KB

Upon examination, in my estimation, the image definitely lost all it's sharpness and appears O-O-F. I shot several images, just to be sure, using the SUNPAK CPL ... and each one could not resolve to a sharp focus on this lens.

So, there goes another $150 for another CPL (w/ tax + shipping). I figure it this way: If I'm going to pick up the new TAMRON SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (77mm-filter) lens, in September (hopefully), I had better have a "good" CPL for it.

To be honest, on the CZ 135mm f/1.8 lens, it is not all that critical, because I will rarely use that prime outdoors (where the CPL comes into its own). That lens was purchased for portrait use, mostly. Ah, but that new zoom lens ... that's an entirely different animal. It will be used as an all-around lens ... indoors and outdoors ... so a sharp filter will be required.

I've decided to go with the very same filter I had on the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (77mm-filter) lens, that successfully corrected problems I had with it autofocusing with using a low-cost CPL filter. Calumet Photography's store brand apparently is supplied by Hoya (THK) and I am opting for a SMC (Super Multi-coat) version, due to its use outdoors.

I am disappointed with the SUNPAK, mainly because they seem to work on the lower-end & UWA lenses pretty well, but on the higher-end lenses ... they appear to perform poorly. I'm not going to allow the performance of my expensive glass to go to hell "cheaping out" with a filter. Of course, there's a lot to be said for going "naked", but we'll save that for another time, eh? LOL
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-19-2008 at 11:11 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up New CPL

Yes, the new SMC CPL arrived from Calumet.

Name:  Calumet-SMC-CPL.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  217.8 KB

It is a low-profile version, so that it can be used successfully on the UWA, also ... but, it shoots exceptionally better than its predecessor.

Let's look:

Remember this?
    SUNPAK CPL only
    Name:  135-w-SUNPAK-CPL.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  220.4 KB

Thank God it's just a memory, now

CALUMET SMC CPL stacked on HMC UV filter . . . . . . . . . CALUMET SMC CPL only (a bit sharper, eh)
    Name:  135-w-CALUMET-SMC-CPL.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  252.5 KB Name:  135-w-CALUMET-SMC-CPL-only.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  259.3 KB

Now, where's that SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD Aspherical MACRO (IF) (SONY-mount) lens, to place it on?

These low-end CPLs are driving me nuts.

Any comments? Are ya scared, yet? Muahahahahaha
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-21-2008 at 02:55 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Very nice outcome! So who makes the calumet filters? Seems like most of these non brand filters get made by HOYA. I think I may get one or two if they really are that good! I heard the thin filters are really difficult to attach the lens cap too because it's so thin? How hard/bad is it? I also heard that it's not that necessary. My widest lens is only 18mm though.
    flickr

Very nice outcome! So who makes the calumet filters? Seems like most of these non brand filters get made by HOYA. I think I may get one or two if they really are that good! I heard the thin filters are really difficult to attach the lens cap too because it's so thin? How hard/bad is it? I also heard that it's not that necessary. My widest lens is only 18mm though.
    No, that is true. If you mount the "thin filter" on the lens, you have to use a "push-on" lens cap rather than the standard. There is literally nothing for the standard lens cap to catch hold of to hang on.

Here's the "push-on" ... on top of the (hidden) CPL-filter

Name:  Push-on-lens-cap.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  303.8 KB

It is a small trade-off, in my opinion. At least you don't have a vignette showing up in your wider UWA shots. LOL

I had thought I mentioned it, earlier, but yes, as you suspect, Hoya (THK) is the filter supplier for these store-branded items. Just like SONY slaps their shell on many of the "TAMRON" lenses. They are slightly cheaper than the actual Hoya-brand.

Heck, Hewlett-Packard, for years, had Texas Instrument chips in their calculator builds ... even though they were direct competitors. Nikon has used SONY sensors in their camera bodies. It's a weird collection of "who is sleeping with who" (this phase) ... almost like a soap-opera, huh?

It is a brutal reality that once you get up to this level of lens, the low-end filters can truly cripple them. We have to shake it off ... as it is just a fact of life: In for a penny, in for a pound.

As I suggested, buying just this one 77mm CPL-filter for use on all your lenses is possible if you use the step-up filter rings. You can get some serious mileage out of one filter that way and $ave some real cash. You just have to deal with the nuissance of changing it from lens to lens.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-27-2008 at 03:00 PM.

flickr & Sdi