Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: A bad CP-filter

Threaded View

Exclamation A bad CP-filter

About two years ago, I bought a °86mm CP-filter for the TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD lens off of ebay, at an unbelievable price, considering its size. Believe me, this is no small piece of glass, either.

So ... for some reason, I placed it in the padded pouch and on one of my many "shelves", forgetting why I had, after using it at Oshkosh AirVenture 2007. I just found it, again ... put it on the new 200-500, autofocused on my focus target and immediately found out why:

No Filter
    Name:  200-500-no-filter.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  441.8 KB

UV-Filter
    Name:  200-500-UV-filter.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  433.7 KB

OEC CPL-Filter
    Name:  200-500-CP-filter.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  257.8 KB

How in the heck do you deal with that?

Can you imagine reaching into your bag ... placing this filter on your lens and then shooting an entire event unaware of the damage it was doing to every single shot? I had caught it early, back then, and "shelved" the thing. I think it would simply be better off in the trash. It's even worse than a kit lens. LOL <- not!

In fact, yours truly went looking to see if other people have enjoyed this kind of distortion and you have to watch this video clip (<click on this) & video clip 2.

Here it is ... in all its ... distortion-filled self. A great way to ruin the performance of a great lens!
    Name:  OEC-CPL-86mm.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  323.0 KB
    EXIF: A700 w/ CZ 135mm f/1.8
    @ f/19 - 1/90 sec. - ISO-400 - CW Avg. Metering - Spot Focus - M - Pop-up Flash
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-15-2008 at 11:46 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr« & Sdi