Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 96 of 183 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146 ... LastLast
    Also, a bee (taken with an E-500 that I just happened to have laying around)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Jekostas,

It looks like rabbits are better at eat the drapes than hide and seek. The bee is nice and sharp, but the image is just too busy for my tastes.

Maybe doing it this way it won't blow up the entire web page:

Nope 3.91 MB too big, rats

Are you on Windows ?

On XP for sure if you right click on your image on your computer the pop up menu will give you an option to "Resize Picture". If the option isn't there you can download the program here -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Choose your size and the image will be resized, a "medium" size (800 pixels wide) fits forum posts nicely and the file size will be under 100k.

I usually just "save" the image in the same folder, it's original name will be changed to "original (medium)".

If that doesn't work for you, just download FastStone Image Viewer, it's free and you can resize quickly with that.

Let me know if you go that way, I can offer some shortcuts with that method.

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    ZD 50 ~ 7-14 ~ 14-35 ~ 14-54 ~ 12-60 ~ 35-100 ~ 50-200 ~ EC 20
    Velbon tripod/ball head
    Slik tripod/Jobu Jr 2 Gimbal

Third try at this (what keeps happening...) Would anyone care to offer comments and critique on these two shots? Are they good, bad, boring, snapshotty? Do you prefer one, or are they basically the same? I curious, I never can judge my own shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Were you even aware of where the sun was ?

Do you own a CP filter ?

I'd have posed the gentleman for best light, shallow DOF and cropped tighter

Cheers, Don
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    Velbon tripod/ball head

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    Were you even aware of where the sun was ?

Cheers, Don
    So you feel his face should not be in the shadow?

Do you own a CP filter ?
    Both shots had CP attached and spun to the position of maximum effectiveness on the landscape.

I'd have posed the gentleman for best light, shallow DOF and cropped tighter
    So you think the pose is somewhat boring? I didn't want to ask the old man to get up, hence the pose and angle. DOF was intentional, so the sheep and country side in the background would be visible. I was deliberately shooting with the 9-18, would knowing that change the critique? I'll look into cropping.

I would have expected a bluer sky with a CP. Then again the shot does appear to be over exposed.

I don't really have a problem with the old man's face in shadow or his pose but I do have a problem with all the clutter, ie. background stuff.

With wide angles you should keep in mind the background appears farther away, the sheep don't have enough definition to contribute much to the composition.

Just because you shot with a 9-18 doesn't mean you have to "use" the full frame.

Perhaps something like this ?

Name:  old man.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  355.0 KB

Cheers, Don
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    Velbon tripod/ball head

Dang, that did quite a bit to help actually. Apart from the crop, what kind of PP did you do? I need to brush up on my PP skills apparently.

Regarding the sky color, this is China. The air quality is the worst in the entire world. Even in this comparatively isolated stretch of Inner Mongolia there is an almost permanent haze that seems to be endemic to the landscape. Living in rural Canada, it would be almost impossible to imagine. You would think it would make colorful sunsets, but the truth is more like gray-brown sunsets, when framing only the sun and sky with a telephoto lens results in shutter speeds of 1/200 s (yes two zeros) if it is within an hour of setting. I'm not kidding, "golden hour" is at about 3-4:00 pm, when the sun reaches the edge of the brown layer. Fortunately the air here in Inner Mongolia is better than that!

Apparently one thing you did was use the other picture, I had been working on #1. #2 makes better crops.