Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 8 of 182 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
    Again from Word on the Street, one of the more "colourful" booksellers. I'm sure this guy has had his pic taken a zillion times before, he even had a pose all ready for me (slight crop of one posted in the "People" thread).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Scotch Thistle

Here is a close up of a Scotch Thistle taken on the weekend using the 70-300mm lens. I am very happy with the performance of this lens.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nicely done jeckyll. Great exposure using f8 Yes, that lens is a keeper.
    Spook
    Canon EOS 50D,7D and some lens and equipment.
    Fuji F200 Exr

Yes very nice thistle capture. It looks like there is some spider's web laced in between the spikes too. I agree with the comments here about the 70-300 lens I've been pretty pleased with it too. haven't taken too many macro type shots with it though yet & the ones I have aren't anywhere near as sharp as your thistle although I have been hand holding them. You've inspired me to try more macros with it, just wondered roughly how far away were you from the flower in that shot?
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Raven I liked the sharpness of your stop sign shot & didn't see any halos. Is it something you have to blow up to see? I just use the microsoft program picture it (it came free with works ages ago I think) to shrink my shots & haven't seen any problems with it. Mind you as I couldn't see your halos maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Phill I was at the minimum focusing distance for the lens for the shot I think about 3 feet from the thistle. Also I find that using a monopod with this lens helps heaps with the sharpness of the photos. I took 4 photos of it with different apertures but I like this one the best.
    I used a Manfrotto 3 piece monopod and find this to be fairly stable. I know that a tripod would give better results but I find that I move around too much for that.
    Regards, Jeckyll

Quote Originally Posted by jeckyll View Post
    I am very happy with the performance of this lens.
    Very nice capture.

Crisp, good color, composition, balance, great bokeh.....

For a standard grade lens it does perform well in the right hands

Cheers, Don
    Last edited by Don Kondra; 10-09-2008 at 12:09 AM.
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    ZD 50 ~ 7-14 ~ 14-35 ~ 14-54 ~ 12-60 ~ 35-100 ~ 50-200 ~ EC 20
    Velbon tripod/ball head
    Slik tripod/Jobu Jr 2 Gimbal

I have to wait to get home to give the details. Pretty sure it was the 40-150 since I was shooting across a lake at one point. Taken at a retriever show in Easton MD.
    Last edited by Gary24; 10-09-2008 at 11:13 AM.
    Olympus E-500, 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6, 40-150mm f/4-5.6 , 50mm f/2.0 Macro, FL-36 Flash, Manfrotto 680B Monopod with 3265 Grip Action Ballhead and quick release stored in a LowePro Slingshot 300.

Yep, that is a great thistle shot. That lens is very good for that sort of thing. I confess that I should use a tripod too, but I can't convince myself to carry one. I don't even carry a camera bag, just keep my camera wrapped around my hand and my lenses in my pockets.

PhillD, don't look too hard. I don't see it unless I am very close to the screen, and I am not bothered by that.

Greetings,

Just a couple of lens test snap shots, out the dirty window on a cloudy day

Upgraded from the 18-180 to the old version 50-200. So far very pleased with the results...

FYI iso 400 and noise filter to high in Master.

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    ZD 50 ~ 7-14 ~ 14-35 ~ 14-54 ~ 12-60 ~ 35-100 ~ 50-200 ~ EC 20
    Velbon tripod/ball head
    Slik tripod/Jobu Jr 2 Gimbal