Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 7 of 183 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
    Wonderful composition, from left to right... you cut the window in half, you cut the guys head in half and you cut the side off the girl.

But it's nice and sharp

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    ZD 50 ~ 7-14 ~ 14-35 ~ 14-54 ~ 12-60 ~ 35-100 ~ 50-200 ~ EC 20
    Velbon tripod/ball head
    Slik tripod/Jobu Jr 2 Gimbal

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    It's an interesting picture... but I'm just not buying the digital sharpening and contrast - you're getting halos around items because of it.
    Have you considered a Red filter for B&W photography?
    Looks fine to me, how old is your monitor and when is the last time you calibrated it?

Not buying digital sharpening? It's all digital. Can you perhaps be clearer in what you mean?

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    ZD 50 ~ 7-14 ~ 14-35 ~ 14-54 ~ 12-60 ~ 35-100 ~ 50-200 ~ EC 20
    Velbon tripod/ball head
    Slik tripod/Jobu Jr 2 Gimbal

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    Wonderful composition, from left to right... you cut the window in half, you cut the guys head in half and you cut the side off the girl.

But it's nice and sharp

Cheers, Don
    Oh, I didn't have a choice about the composition, unfortunately. The guy shoved the sign right in front of his face (he thought I was "with the government" and didn't want his picture taken).
    I decided on this one because of the half-face, actually - it works with the ever so slight neuroticism.

As to my comments on Raven's shot - I like the shot, but I'm not a huge fan of a lot of post-processing. I think adding a red filter to the lens on the original shot would've given the contrast he wanted without starting to get the halos.

You're right, there are sharpening halos. How did that happen?

OK, clarification, that happened during resizing somehow. I just tried again using no sharpening at all, resized for posting and tadah! halos came right back. So, you'll just have to use your imagination and pretend they are not there, at least until I find a better way to resize.

This goes back to something I was saying to Don earlier, if there were any halos in the original they should not be visible in this small internet shot. If you ever see any pixel-level flaws, that is almost certainly due to a defect in resizing, not in the original. Any flaw in the original file would have to be at least 4 pixels across to be visible as a 1 pixel flaw in an 800*600 resize, which is pretty unlikely (at least below ISO 1600).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by raven15; 09-28-2008 at 07:54 PM.

Two from this morning.

Taken with the 70-300mm lens on the birds and the bees.

I like the 70-300 more the more I use it. It is extraordinary, probably as good as my 14-54 in terms of image quality, and providing much shallower depth of field at 300mm.
    Last edited by raven15; 09-28-2008 at 08:24 PM.

Two more from the morning. Both with 70-300mm lens.

See? No vignetting on the 70-300mm, even at maximum aperture. And I deliberately cranked up the contrast on my computer to look for it!

The kit lenses don't even come close. Nor the 18-180. In this respect, even the 14-54 is probably not as good I think (well, it might be at f/5.6, but not at f/2.8-f/3.5).

very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by raven15 View Post
    You're right, there are sharpening halos. How did that happen?

OK, clarification, that happened during resizing somehow. I just tried again using no sharpening at all, resized for posting and tadah! halos came right back. So, you'll just have to use your imagination and pretend they are not there, at least until I find a better way to resize.
    What program are you using to resize?

Presently, Irfanview. I might be able to continue using that, but drop the compression a little.

I've been poking around, and you're right, it looks like Irfanview has a tendency to introduce halos in high-contrast areas on resizing. I tend to use Faststone or Acdsee. Perhaps one of those might work better?