Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 62 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast
    Yes that's a pretty good hand held moon shot. I haven't tried the moon for a while but even with a tripod I struggle to get anything decent especially at full moon. How much cropping & PP did you have to do?
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Quote Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
    Yes that's a pretty good hand held moon shot. I haven't tried the moon for a while but even with a tripod I struggle to get anything decent especially at full moon. How much cropping & PP did you have to do?
    Thanks. In terms of your question, the original was 3648*2736, cropped down to 912*1182, ~1/10th of the original image. Handheld actually wasn't so bad, with IS on and at ISO100, shutter speed was 1/250th, which is well within the realm of handholding for 300MM.

For PP, not too much - I got a copy of Studio when I bought my E-1, so Studio for RAW conversion, and then Unsharp mask, big Contrast boost in ACDSee Pro. Maybe... five minutes, max.

In terms of handheld, it was ISO100, F8, 70-300MM at 300MM, EXP -1.0, spot metered.

I also got the following shot off of the E-1 (dragged my wife out to the middle of a local park to help me with all this last night). 70-300MM, tripod, ISO100, F8, used a remote with a 2 second delay and a 2 second mirror lockup. It's a bit of a challenge to get detail moon shots with half the resolution, but the camera focuses and balances out the lens so much better than the E-510.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

It seems to me the E-510 is better for the moon application.

One of many shots I took of this church from all over the city. Can't say it's the best, but it's the first. With the 25mm pancake lens.

Just finished running it through my new batch processing, made for my new method of E-620 jpeg shooting (permanent exposure compensation of +1/2). Two steps of highlight recovery, a light trip through neatimage, and six steps of unsharp mask followed by autocontrast. Gives my slow laptop something to think about while I sleep .

I'm also happy to say I don't want any more lenses at the moment, my current setup is working great . The only one I lust for is the 8mm fisheye, but it's expensive for such a strange lens.
    Last edited by raven15; 10-08-2009 at 06:41 AM.

Raven I rarely do more than a few minutes PP on a shot & largely with auto tools so I'm probably missing something but what does all your PP do. Can you post the original of that street scene to highlight the differences please.

OK... here goes. Big improvement? Not really, it changes a little. There are really three steps in the process, highlights, noise, and contrast, it just is complicated because of the way I do it. But since it's automated, it doesn't take much of my time. The noise reduction does make the file size smaller I noticed.

I admit I'm struggling to see much difference. Maybe that's my monitor? or that this scene was pretty good to start with. What is the PP designed to improve? I'm sure you have shots that show the differences more dramatically.

Yes, the effect is more dramatic on poorly exposed or low contrast scenes. On well exposed or nicely contrasted scenes it doesn't do much, for instance this one. But if you look you can see than objects are more clearly defined and blacks are blacker, and whites not quite as bright. It isn't supposed to be a huge change. Since I learned to correctly expose my shots two weeks ago it seems less effective.

It is supposed to quickly apply a good amount of PP so I can see how the shot turned out, and not have to wonder "what would it look like with a little PP? maybe I should keep it until then." In other words, to help me decide which shots to keep quickly, and then to not have to go back.

I have a similar one for the E-410, I wonder if it would be better on the E-620 than the E-620 version.

Crossposted from the landscapes thread...
    I dunno Raven, I tried cropping out some of the foreground like you suggested, didn't really like it too much. Loses some of the impact of the leaves.

Also, a duck
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

You could be right, my monitor is only 600 pixels tall so I can't see the whole thing at once anyhow . But it's definitely good. The duck is very good too.
    Last edited by raven15; 10-15-2009 at 04:36 AM.

The Deep River

Flowing under the camelback bridge in Cumnock, NC. Like people know where THAT is? LOL I'm really enjoying everyone's pics, they are outstanding!
    I don't make mistakes.....I have happy little accidents. (Bob Ross)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/builder24car/