Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 36 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast
    Dammit, ONE of these pictures will upload!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Uh, did you forget to mention the point to these images?

DOF is too shallow, IMHO

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    ZD 50 ~ 7-14 ~ 14-35 ~ 14-54 ~ 12-60 ~ 35-100 ~ 50-200 ~ EC 20
    Velbon tripod/ball head
    Slik tripod/Jobu Jr 2 Gimbal

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    Uh, did you forget to mention the point to these images?

DOF is too shallow, IMHO

Cheers, Don
    Why do you say that? I was trying to showcase the flowers in-frame, not the surroundings (and the first set of flowers were shot at F8 to have them all in-focus).
    Last edited by jekostas; 04-07-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Okay, but it's obvious that didn't work....

The whole image is out of focus except for the tips of the flowers.

IMHO if you would have "focused" on the center of a flower it would have been a more successful image.

Try using center focus point on the one element that will be the main element of the image, recompose if necessary and/or crop.

Cheers, Don
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    Velbon tripod/ball head

Okay, but it's obvious that didn't work....

The whole image is out of focus except for the tips of the flowers.

IMHO if you would have "focused" on the center of a flower it would have been a more successful image.

Try using center focus point on the one element that will be the main element of the image, recompose if necessary and/or crop.

Cheers, Don
    That is going to be very difficult, as I was shooting with a 40 year old manual focus lens. I admit the third picture turned out kinda crappy, but the one I wanted to upload, this forum seems to hate with extraordinary passion.

Was this to me? I don't have that lens, it was that Hexanon 52mm again (not bad for a free lens, eh?).

Oops yes that was to you. I guess I forgot who it was who had this lens. I was guessing because it was one of the few Oly lenses that provide that ability that many people around here have. Yah, I need a free lens like that!

Quote Originally Posted by raven15 View Post
    Oops yes that was to you. I guess I forgot who it was who had this lens. I was guessing because it was one of the few Oly lenses that provide that ability that many people around here have. Yah, I need a free lens like that!
    If you're looking at old manual lenses, like I said, old Konica Hexanon AR lenses fit with very little effort.

The one I'm using is the 52mm F1.8, but the lens you want out of the set is actually the 50mm F1.7 (not the F1.8!) or the 40mm F1.8. The good thing is that since they were sold as kit lenses in various iterations for about 20 years, they're cheap as borscht and readily available. As nice as the old Olympus OM lenses are, the Konica Hexanon AR 50MM F1.7 is still considered one of the best, sharpest standard 50MM primes ever made.

Thank Olympus for designing a mount with such a short flange-length, makes using all these lenses possible.

One this I noticed is that as Don correctly pointed out, focusing can be problematic with the somewhat small 4/3s viewfinders (I need to get a magnifying eyecup or a nice split-prism focus screen).

One this I noticed is that as Don correctly pointed out, focusing can be problematic with the somewhat small 4/3s viewfinders (I need to get a magnifying eyecup or a nice split-prism focus screen)
    Got mine five weeks ago . Now I just need one of those f/1.7 thingies...

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    One this I noticed is that as Don correctly pointed out, focusing can be problematic with the somewhat small 4/3s viewfinders (I need to get a magnifying eyecup or a nice split-prism focus screen).
    Okay, this is a tuff one, I am really curious to know why would you post a "kinda crappy" image without explanation.

Were you going for a "it's not out of focus, it's art" look

Cheers, Don
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    Velbon tripod/ball head

Okay, this is a tuff one, I am really curious to know why would you post a "kinda crappy" image without explanation.

Were you going for a "it's not out of focus, it's art" look

Cheers, Don
    Nah, it honestly didn't look that bad on screen (there's a helluva lot more detail in the centre of the flowers not resized).
    I shoulda cropped it down first, but c'est la vie. Learning experience, right?

Alright, photobucket is doing horrible things resizing my pics... I'll try this again later.
    Last edited by jekostas; 04-08-2009 at 12:18 AM.