Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 31 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast
    Treetop you seem to have improved noticeably already.

One suggestion about the picture (I believe of yourself) outside: if you force your camera's flash to fire in a situation like that you can brighten yourself and possibly avoid whiting out the sky at the same. This is called fill flash and is used to brighten the foreground. Consequently the camera will create a darker exposure, possibly bringing the sky back into whatever color it was that day.

Quote Originally Posted by raven15 View Post
    Treetop you seem to have improved noticeably already.

One suggestion about the picture (I believe of yourself) outside: if you force your camera's flash to fire in a situation like that you can brighten yourself and possibly avoid whiting out the sky at the same. This is called fill flash and is used to brighten the foreground. Consequently the camera will create a darker exposure, possibly bringing the sky back into whatever color it was that day.
    Thanks for that Raven, but who on earth would I want to brighten a picture on my face? Do you want to scare people to death man? LOL

Greetings,

Lovely week at the post office

Cowboy Studio 200 w/s strobe heads And a EC 14 arrived

Terrible lighting conditions but great for testing the EC 14 with the 50-200mm, if I didn't get the center point right on this little guy, it wouldn't focus..

This is outside my patio door, he would gather seeds under the bird feeder and then run out a couple feet to eat them. With his back to me, sigh.. Just before he went back for more he would turn for a split second.

Name:  Squirrel 3.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  204.1 KB

Name:  Squirrel IV.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  216.9 KB

And this is a quick test shot with the 200 w/s heads, one with brolly and one with softbox. I was a little concerned they wouldn't have enough power but this is at ~1/2 power on both heads. Nice to know they will work just fine for small product shots but I also hope they will work for fill and hair light..

Name:  Cables CS.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  168.8 KB

Cheers, Don
    Last edited by Don Kondra; 01-29-2009 at 07:08 PM.
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    ZD 50 ~ 7-14 ~ 14-35 ~ 14-54 ~ 12-60 ~ 35-100 ~ 50-200 ~ EC 20
    Velbon tripod/ball head
    Slik tripod/Jobu Jr 2 Gimbal

Well I have just got a rude awakening. I am still using 'point and shoot' cameras, Fuji
    S5200, S8100fd and Canon PowerShot S3 IS models and I just bought the Olympus E520 dSLR. What was I thinking? It's a trade-off ... marginal detail and Zoom for better detail and shutter speed. I was told that as a beginner dSLR user that the Olympus would be the way to go. I may need a class [schooling] to even begin using this camera. I love that little Chippy ... Babs

LOL.... there is a bit of a learning curve moving up from a P & S.

Very generally speaking the camera menus between brands are reasonably similar and just take a little practice/getting used to.

Read the manual a couple or eight times, it'll start to make sense

And you'll see a major increase in image quality in your shots and start to realize the creative options available.

Cheers, Don
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    Velbon tripod/ball head

Babs Don is right just enjoy the learning process. i guarantee that coming from the P&S cams you have there will definately be times when you will say to yourself I could have done better with my old...? plus you will soon be longing after lenses to give you the reach you had before. Then when you've had the DSLR for a while go back to one of the old ones & just see the differences stand out. The next stage is realising that sometimes you will still want to use the P&S for convenience carrying etc & are willing to put up with the limits. At that point you will be happy with all your purchases but much poorer
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Not me . I choose the world's smallest DSLR and the smallest lenses I could get for it so I could completely replace a P&S. But there are tradeoffs. Just last night I handed my DSLR to a friend who thought the pictures were coming out dark, it turned out I had used -.6 exposure compensation before I handed it to him. It definitely takes better pictures than a P&S, but that just makes mistakes all the more obvious, so you have to work harder to avoid them.

Just playing around with using the Alien Bees strobes for woodwork in progress shots...

Router circle cutting jig... one side light

Name:  Circle jig cut.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  196.7 KB

And copy shaping, I had hoped the flash was fast enough to catch shavings peeling off the cutter but, not, sigh...

One light on boom and one side light...

Name:  Copy route.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  282.2 KB

Cheers, Don
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    Velbon tripod/ball head

I bet the E-620's better autofocus would help avoid shots like this, with the 70-300. I'm definitely getting that camera (when I'm rich).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Guess I'd better post a few that worked too. All with 70-300mm lens (a very nice lens except for the focusing, I had forgotten I hadn't used it in so long).
    Attached Images Attached Images