Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 21 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast
    Crusing sounds great but I'm afraid it wouldn't be for me, I get sea sick on the Dover to Calais ferry ;( When I retire I'll have to find something on dry land.
    They look good flash pictures Sarah. I've only ever tried the built in flash & the results wern't good so I tend to avoid it. Looks like you've convinced me to look through the sales after Christmas & see what I can find.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

The Stigma of Flash

22 December 2008

Hi Phil-

Well, you really should not feel badly at all! When someone mentions the very word flash, most photography folks, they sort of draw back and slowly become rigid with the non- knowledge of how to use a good external flash effectively to get great photos.

In the final analysis, an external flash is one of the best photographic tools available to any photographer. You just have to get them over the fear and trembling portion of it when you speak the word: "external flash!."

Phil, I have made a huge success out of the Olympus E-410 and E-420, thanks to the use of a very efficient external flash: the Olympus FL-36 Flash. that solves nicely the IS problem faced by both the E-410 and the E-420 cameras.

And please, let's not just pass my the Olympus FL-36 flash by without mentioning that its biggest advantage is NOT as a direct flash, but as a bounce flash. Bounce flash is what encouraged you to like the photo effect of particularly the second photo sample that I posted today (12/22). And, thanks to E-Bay I managed to snag that FL-36 flash for just $(US) 100.00.

We must leave on the 12th of January to head for the Princess World Cruise, but I am willing to run an external flash clinic on line before we depart if anyone is interested.. The light provided by a good external flash is very worthwhile indeed if you know how to take advantage of it.

Who, out there, is really up for a slam bang flash clinic? Please think a bit about that. I don't mean to press anything or anyone. I guarantee that anyone can opt out, and there will be no hard feelings. So, please give it a think, won't you?

Sarah Joyce

Sarah I'm not sure I know what you mean when you say a "flash clinic" Sounds like you should start a new thread with that as the title, you may get a better response.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Good Morning, Phil-

Well there is no real request for something on shooting with flash. So we will just let it lie fallow for the time being. I am in complete agreement with you that if it happens, it should be in a separate thread.

Happy Holidays, have a great day!

Sarah Joyce

kgosden-

That is a very nice photo. The color is very rich, though I would have liked a bit more DOF. Happy Holidays!

Sarah Joyce

Just grabbed a few of the blossom to test out the E520. Wasn't really trying anything too critical. I can never decide if I will like the shallow DOF abstract look or the more completely in focus. I always feel that if you cannot get the majority of the flower in focus, then it is better to drive the viewer to a single feature. Christmas cactus blooms are rather deep front to back and at my focus distance i would have needed to stop down to f16 or so to get it all. This was a quick set of hand held shots under kitchen lighting and I did not want to push the ISO. I did a few from the side where there is more detail, but I couldn't decide on one I liked. Hoping to get some play time with the new camera and the also new FL36R. Looking forward to trying the 'R' part.

Christmas Catus Blossom Photo

Kgosden-

It is always fun to experiment a bit. Your photo is a very effective one.

I owned the FL-50 flash for about 4 years, and then just recently picked up a used FL-36 flash. I like the size of the FL-36 flash a lot better, especially when I am using a small body like the E-410 or E-420.

So I have been doing a good deal of experimenting as well with the FL-36 flash. Here is a photo my husband took of me this morning using the E-420, the FL-35, and the ZD 40-150mm lens. It was handheld, and as my husband very rarely takes photos, I was surprised when he told me he want to use the E-420 to take a photo of me. All in all, he did a good job taking this photo handheld.

Sarah Joyce
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sarah are you using full power on the flash when you are bouncing? Too many of the houses here have high or sloped ceilings in the rooms where we gather to get a decent bounce setup. That was one of the appeals of getting into the Ex20 series. With the remote off camera capability of the FL36R I expect to be able to experiment with lighting a bit.

Here is an alternate take of the Christmas cactus. I ran this through the CS3 RAW converter and decided to try a different color balance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Kgosden-

That is a much more impressive photo of the Christmas Cactus. I can be much more at ease with that type of photo. Now we have a great view of the whole blossom. Did you use the FL-36 to get this view? Good for you!

Sarah Joyce

No flash, just unnatural kitchen cabinet under counter halogens.