Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 20 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
    And I usually dislike traffic I wish I had found the FL36R, I would have gotten it for that price. But you do have an Olympus Photo Safari Group over there, which we do not have over here.

Speaklightly, that is unfortunate.

Raven's Lens Dilema

Raven-

Both shots are very good. Yes, you were indeed closer to that Big Horn Mama than I would care to be. It is good to see activity in this thread, especially since it is less than a week before Christmas.

Phil-

That Olympus Safari Group exhibition must have been very impressive. They seem to be doing a lot based on what I read over at dpreview. Enjoy your tripod and Safari Group book for Christmas.

We will be out of here and on the road again, before you know it. We fly to Fort Lauderdale on 01/13 to board the Tahitian Princess for the 2009 Princess World Cruise. We will do 1/2 of the cruise this year, Fort Lauderdale to Osaka, Japan. Then we immediately head for LAX and another contract.

Happy Holidays to all!

Sarah Joyce

Sarah your "work" cruise sounds like a fantastic holiday to me, have a good time. Yes the exhibition was very enjoyable only regret was not being able to get to the group get together on the last day. I'm pretty sure that anyone can view the book photographs on line if you join the group and it's open to anyone anywhere Raven so you could join too. Just look up Brian Mosely on DPReview's Olympus dslr forum I'm pretty sure he posts a link to the group in his posts.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Hi Phil-

You are very correct. It is a really great retirement "gig." My husband and I teach on cruise ships some 7 to 8 months each year. When we are home we teach for our local Community College, and our state university. Every day is a real challenge. Because we have to cover a wide variety of camera applications in our teaching, we are active in both the DSLR world and the Point and Shoot world.

For example, we worked most of the day today (20 December 2008) on smoothling out a well balanced exposure with a rather powerful slave flash (the DigiSlave 3000) and a rather typical point & shoot camera, the Kodak Z1012. We think that the results are rather amazing. So take a look at the attached, Phil. It proves that you can do a rather complex flash photo rather easily with a run of the mill point & shoot camera: the Kodak Z-1012 and some run of the mill flash accesories. The result is a well balanced flash photo from a point & shoot camera that you might never suspect could produce it. Please tell me what you think, Phil?? Yep, that is yours truly in the attached photo

Sarah Joyce
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by speaklightly; 12-21-2008 at 01:25 AM.

Sarah, you are definitely right there... lighting plays a huge role in the quality of flash pics. The tiny direct on-board flash is the main reason IMO a P&S produces horrible flash pics. But using an optical slave flash in a bounced / reflected setup like you did there is just the ticket!

Your students are lucky to have a teacher who is so willing to keep refining her technique and open to experimenting with new ideas. Myself, i don't know if I would have the patience to teach But I definitely respect those who do... it speaks of a contented and generous soul.

BTW, the World cruise aboard the Tahitian Princess sounds fantastic. I have been on a couple Princess cruises in the past, and I know my parents love cruising in general.
    Last edited by e_dawg; 12-21-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Nikon: D300, D700, Nikkor: 24-70, 70-200, 70-300/VR, 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4G, 60/2.8G, 180/2.8,
    Sigma: 10-20, 50-150/2.8, 50/2.8, Tamron: 17-50/2.8, 28-75/2.8, Tokina: 12-24, Zeiss: 25/2.8
    Olympus: E-520, E-3, 7-14, 9-18, 11-22, 12-60, 14-35/2, 14-54, 35-100/2, 50-200, 25/2.8, 35/3.5, 50/2
    Panasonic: G1, Leica: 14-50, 14-150, 25/1.4
    Sony: A700, A900, 24-85, 35-70, 70-210/4, 20/2.8, 24/2.8, 50/2.8, T 90 macro, Zeiss: 24-70/2.8, 135/1.8
    P&S: Canon S90, Panasonic: LX3

Thanks for the Nice Comments

e-dawg-

Many thaks for the nice comments. My husband and I have a little pact. We have agreed that as long as teaching and cruising is fun we will continue to do it. However, when it is no long personally rewarding and a lot of fun, we will enjoy our home.

We enjoy perfecting and working out techniques that P&S users can use to get better photos. In our television and internet driven civilization, people today want you to present a proven techniques and to show them exactly what quality of photos can be obtained using any technique. Also they want you to validate the technique right before their eyes, just to be sure.

We teach a rather diverse group of people both age-wise and photo experience-wise so you have to make your presentation as simple and as understandable as possible, while still maintaining a high interest level.

After all, at the end of their cruise, those same passengers actually comment on and grade your presentation and how much they learned on their Passenger Comment Questionaire. In turn, the cruise line uses the passengers comments to decide if they will ask you back to lecture/teach again. Luckily we have also received great comments and high grades.

Happy Holidays!

Sarah Joyce
    Last edited by speaklightly; 12-22-2008 at 09:34 AM.

Another Stormy Day

Good Morning-

Here we are, just a few days before Christmas, and our winter storms have hit us one after the other for 2 weeks. December, especially here along the Oregon coastline is usually mild. It is at the end of January and in early February that we usually see these strong winter storms. And then we have them for 2 or 3 days with a 2 or 3 day break of good weather.

Here is what it looked like this morning. We had one break in the storm where we got a glimpse of some blue sky momentarily. Notice the angry sea below that bit of blue sky.

Sarah Joyce

An E-420 Photo Sample

I was working with the E-420, the FL-36 Flash, and the ZD 14-42mm lens today. Here is a handheld shot that looks pretty good.

Sarah Joyce

Second E-420 Photo Sample

Here is the second E-420 photo sample. This photo was taken with the E-420 equipped with the ZD 40-150mm lens and the FL-36 flash. And yes, once again it was taken handheld.

Sarah Joyce

I thought it was time for some bright colors. I just upgraded from the E510 to the E520 thanks to Circuit City's local exit. Since the Christmas cactus was in bloom I slapped on the 50mm macro. This was under the low voltage halogens ISO 100 using custom white balance.