Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 118 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1825
    Crummy post Christmas weather here so not much to go photograph. So I went to the local Donnington Park racing car museum. Have been wanting to go for some time and it's great to see the circuit getting back on it's feet after the Grand Prix bid fiasco. A real shame if you ask me but that's another story.
    Anyway I took the E620 along to see what it could do inside with high iso shots. Overall I am quite pleased but not convinced it's better than my E510 yet. Enjoyable visit non the less. Here are a few shots.
    Love the colours on this shot of an old Jordan car even at iso800
    Name:  PC280189.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  449.0 KB
    Louis Hamiltons 2008 championship winning car. Did a lille tweak and crop in Picassa on this to boost the contrast a bit still iso800
    Name:  PC280196-2.JPG
Views: 127
Size:  443.1 KB
    This was a very dark area with the old Vanwall cars so I tried iso1600. Came out OK I'd say.
    Name:  PC280208.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  439.9 KB

I deliberately only took the 620 on this trip in an effort to get used to how it feels but at some point I'll have to do the back to backs for real with the 510 to satisfy my curiosity.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Some great shots from Donington Park's museum Phill, years since i've been there - lots of cars that bring back great memories from years gone by.
    Liked the Vanwall shot, hope you don't mind but I gave it a quick tweak in Neat Image to reduce the noise (which isn't bad anyway for iso1600 ).
    What do you think?

Phill,

I don't see how you can complain since the E-510 would have a hard time at ISO400 even matching the low noise of the E-620 at ISO1600. I had been tempted by the E-620, but I have finally sold myself on blowing the camera budget for the next few years on the E5. I am planning an Alaska trip this Summer and weather sealing is looking quite appealing to me.

Steve,

I think the photo lost too much sharpness with the noise reduction. Perhaps a little layering and selective masking in PS would let you pull up the edge details in the cars and keep the noise low in the bodies?

''Steve,

I think the photo lost too much sharpness with the noise reduction. Perhaps a little layering and selective masking in PS would let you pull up the edge details in the cars and keep the noise low in the bodies?''

Agree with you on the loss of sharpness, but I'm not clever enough with Photoshop to do what you've suggested - must try harder

Steve,

It should be a fairly simple task. First, create a duplicate layer of the original image so there are now two identical images one on top of the other. Select the upper layer and apply the noise reduction filter to this layer only. Next I would select the bottom layer and apply a little unsharp mask to it. Then return to the top layer which has had the noise reduction. Select the eraser tool and a feather edged brush (and hopefully you have a tablet not just a mouse) use the eraser tool to remove the top layer along the edge details of each car. This will let the sharpened layer show through. It should preserve the noise reduction in the larger areas of color and bring up edge detail from the layer below.

In the example below I just used Photoshop's built-in noise reduction on the top layer and applied a little extreme sharpening to the bottom layer. The second image shows where I erased the top layer to expose the sharpened edges.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by kgosden; 12-29-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks guys you've both improved it quite a bit considering you only had the small file to work with. No I hadn't been to Donnington for many years either Steve it was a very enjoyable afternoon, you've got to like racing cars though. I was pleasently suprised how many they had. The Maclaren hall was interesting in that there were so many cars side by side so you could play spot the year by year changes. Sometimes they were very subtle on the surface. Like you I liked the Vanwall collection too. I used to have a Vanwall dinky toy when I was very small. It was played with a lot so it took quite a battering as I grew up.
    Kg I couldn't have done that process to clean and sharpen that shot either. I can see the differences it's made thanks for the explanation. I've only got elements 6 though so I'll have to have a play to see if I can do something similar. I wasn't complaining really well not yet anyway I need to give the 620 a chance to teach it's owner how to get the best from it. I was pleased with the car shots in general and felt the exposures were easy to get even though I left it in spot metering most of the afternoon by mistake. Whilst it did well at the high isos I'm not sure it's actually better than the 510 except that it can go to 3200. I've been trying a few comparison shots this morning and it's the difference in sharpness that stands out the most. Even with sharpness setting at 0 on the 510 and +2 on the 620 the 510 wins easily at iso 400. I also seem to be getting a much warmer image from the 510 compared with a colder blueish images from the 620. WB was at auto on both and the lighting was identical soft window light from the side for both. Can't blame the cameras yet as I need to do more detailed testing but although I really like the features on the 620 I'm not sold on the IQ yet.

Acadia Maine

Here's some shots from a trip to the Acadia NP area in Maine back in October. I need to try to post more often, I just never seem to "get around to it". Feel free to critique, hope you enjoy
    MPT
    Olympus E-30; E-500
    12-60 f2.8-4.0, 50-200 f2.8-3.5

Good to see some activity here again. My favourite is the last one MPT.
    Here's one of my first attempts with the E620 from this morning.
    Name:  P1090359.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  344.8 KB

Nice sunrise Phill

kgosden, thanks for that explanation, doesn't seem too difficult even for a numpty like me

We have been having a real Winter here in Atlanta for a change. It was cold all day. Drove the local bluebirds to my feeders. But now the storm has moved in and we have about 4 inches on the deck.