Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 158 of 181 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 1806
    Rooz, so where is our latte? I must admit I am lusting after the 16mp upgrade with Olympus' jpg engine. But I am holding out hope that they will still release one more full DSLR body. I cannot quite get over the loss of the OVF to go mirrorless as a primary camera. Plus I really like my Oly lenses. I did bite the bullet on a new XZ-2 this week. The backside illuminated CMOS looks like a winner.

Why did you want to switch from the Fuji? That 60mm looks sharp. My first tip: activate the super control panel for every shooting mode. It's complicated so you'll have to look it up (I forgot). Also
    Activate flashy blown highlights/shadows.
    Switch noise filter off. Leave noise reduction on , this is dark frame subtraction.

Other tips in the super control panel:
    Apparently there is less noise if you change ISO's in full stops, 200, 400, etc. You can set that up in the ISO menu.
    Auto WB is usually pretty good, you may turn off "keep warm tones"
    Set contrast, sharpening, and saturation to your taste and level of processing.
    Use normal gradation, not auto gradation.
    Large super fine jpegs are unecessarily large but rock.
    Adjust the auto white balance to some combination A-1 G+1
    Many of the above parameters are specific to the vivid, natural, muted, portrait, etc. which you see in the top right corner of the control panel, so you can and have to set them up separately for each of those.

There are about a bazillion tips and quirks to all Olympus cameras and potential customization is mind boggling. It will take 1-4 months to get it sorted out, but then it will work like a charm in exactly the way you want and you won't really think about it again. DPreview published a good list of recommended settings for the E-M5 which should apply here too, you might want to look that up, many are repeats of what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by raven15 View Post
    It will take 1-4 months to get it sorted out,
    He will have sold it and will own a Hasselblad Lunar by then.

Quote Originally Posted by raven15 View Post
    Why did you want to switch from the Fuji?
    i'm reluctantly leaving purely down to autofocus. its just not up to what I want to put it thru.

My first tip: activate the super control panel for every shooting mode. It's complicated so you'll have to look it up (I forgot).
    done.

Activate flashy blown highlights/shadows.
    yuck. I hate that feature. lol

Switch noise filter off. Leave noise reduction on , this is dark frame subtraction.
    for some reason my NR feature is greyed out. any idea why ?

Apparently there is less noise if you change ISO's in full stops, 200, 400, etc. You can set that up in the ISO menu.
    hmmm...cant understand how that works. iso is just a value of light sensitivity.

Auto WB is usually pretty good, you may turn off "keep warm tones"
    done.

Use normal gradation, not auto gradation.
    done.

Adjust the auto white balance to some combination A-1 G+1
    huh ?

DPreview published a good list of recommended settings for the E-M5 which should apply here too, you might want to look that up, many are repeats of what I said.
    thanks will check that out.

is there a way to set minimum shutter speed with auto iso ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    yuck. I hate that feature. lol
    I only use it for review, not preview. Toggle it so it's one of three options, with the other a plain picture and the other showing the settings for the picture. Then you can just cycle between those three when reviewing. The histogram can also be useful, but the more you add the more button presses it takes to cycle through.

for some reason my NR feature is greyed out. any idea why ?
    Sorry, if I knew I don't now.

hmmm...cant understand how that works. iso is just a value of light sensitivity.
    Apparently 250 and 320 are interpolated from 400 in software or something to that effect. I can't remember exactly how it went.

huh ?
    In the super control panel there is an A and a G, for amber (opposite blue) and green (opposite magenta). These adjust the white balance if you ever feel it's toward one side or the other.

is there a way to set minimum shutter speed with auto iso ?
    Shutter priority mode or manual mode Otherwise not that I know of, but I haven't really looked.

Rooz,

NR might be greyed out in some modes like program or similar.

I actually picked up the MMF-3 for my 'wife's' E-PM1. I was surprised that the focus was pretty good in decent light even with the Bigma attached.

D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Some interesting shots there Rooz. I can't believe you got an Oly. I thought you were a dedicated Nikonian although you have dabbled with Fuji recently I see.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Jeez I knew Sydney was a tough town but is it really necessary to have that level of security around Casa Rooz?

we have to keep out the riff raff !
    phil, I'm dedicated to whoever makes a camera that suits my needs. I don't much care who makes it.
    flickr