Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 155 of 180 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 1791
    Thanks kg I did deepen the shadows a bit but didn't want to darken the foreground too much. Feel free to have a play with it if you want to.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Kgosden, your close ups are getting sharper and less grainy as time goes by. However the flower one doesn't do much for me.

Phill, I tried to make the sun beams pop out more on your shot but didn't succeed. So far I haven't had much success on sunbeams any time I've tried. I like the picture though.

Here are a few from a friend's hunting trip I went on back in October.
    Name:  PA230105s.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  520.1 KB

Name:  PA230088as.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  576.1 KB

Name:  PA150001s.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  313.0 KB

Name:  PA210035as.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  385.8 KB

Name:  PA220071bs.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  496.4 KB

Raven there is a lovely quality about those shots, is that the EM-5 you are using. If so you are definitely making it sing.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Raven,

You had some great light. I think that first one is the best composition with the last one a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
    Raven there is a lovely quality about those shots, is that the EM-5 you are using. If so you are definitely making it sing.
    Thanks, I can't say they're that good necessarily. Yup, all E-M5. In fact, all were taken with the 12mm f/2.0 as well, except the center one of the clouds and tree tops (#3).

I'd say of the cameras I've had the top one could only have been taken with the E-M5, the difference in brightness between the ground and sky is large. It came out very grey and flat looking after batch processing and still to light and too dark. It took a lot of work to get there, I think it looks over processed and will try again sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by kgosden View Post
    Raven,
    You had some great light. I think that first one is the best composition with the last one a close second.
    Yeah, it's easier to find light when I get off my seat. I agree with #1 potentially being best, though I might try again at processing it. I just started spec'ing out a fancy new IPC monitor and calibrator (yay!) and fancy computer parts to run it, hopefully by the end of the year I'll have some good big prints of my better shots over the past 4 years. #1 has potential to be on the list.

Raven,

I do not think it looks too processed. For monitors I would stick to the Dell UltraSharp U2410 9just replaced with the U2411 I believe) at around $500 it is the best deal in a wide gamut monitor. You can add a ColorMunki i1 calibrator for ~$250. To get into a better setup you need to start at $1000 or higher for a monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by kgosden View Post
    Raven,
    I do not think it looks too processed. For monitors I would stick to the Dell UltraSharp U2410 9just replaced with the U2411 I believe) at around $500 it is the best deal in a wide gamut monitor. You can add a ColorMunki i1 calibrator for ~$250. To get into a better setup you need to start at $1000 or higher for a monitor.
    Hmmm... the horizon looks artificially blotchy to me.

I've been looking at a few options from $600 to $1200, but mostly the higher pixel count monitors 2560 pixels wide by 1440 or 1600. Apparently most IPS displays are based on panels made by LG, which are then used by many other manufacturers (similar to the same Sony sensor being found in cameras by various manufacturers). Thus, I was looking at the HP versions, which supposedly have faster response times for games (which I also occasionally use the computer for). Haven't yet decided what size and price though.

Many reviews of the colormunki claim the software doesn't get along well with Windows 7, which has me considering the Spyder equivalent. Either way, $250 seems like a lot to pay for a device that will be used about annually, when the most important difference from the $90 version is the user interface having more options.

ColorMunki worked fine on my new Win 8 system. Can't say I enjoy Win 8 much. I read a recent review of the Spyder versus ColorMunki, I think in Shutterbug or Outdoor Photographer, and the ColorMunki was preferred, but only slightly. I also recall that they mentioned the software being a bit more complicated to understand. Seemed easy enough to me. My old calibration tool was a Spyder from about 10 years ago. I have a wide gamut Samsung 23". I have considered moving to the new Dell UltraSharp 24" wide gamut model to gain a few pixels. I see that Dell still has the U2410 now for $399. It is replaced by the U2413 at $599. The new one is an IPS monitor and they rate it at 99% of AdobeRGB (the old U2410 is rated 96%). The 2413 is designed to interface to the ColorMunki.

Just ordered the parts today. Getting a nice ostentatious HP 2560x1600 30" wide-gamut display, plus 2x 500GB solid state drives for 1TB RAID 0 array (wow), 32GB speedy RAM, etc. This is going to be one heck of a display/computer. Went with the Spyder. Spent one month's pay (but this equipment should be good for at least 5 years average).

I'm going with Windows 7 because I have concerns about backward compatibility and support for various programs with Windows 8. The user interface would be fine with me and supposedly Windows 8 is a lot faster though. Microsoft gets every second operating system right.

Wish I had the space for a 30" monitor. Sounds like a nice setup. The only thing I dislike with Win 8 is the new interface and 'apps'. All my old stuff seems to run fine so far. But when you are running a Win8 app you cannot window it with other apps, at least I have not figured out how yet. I am fighting the urge to add the Dell U2410 to my recent PC upgrade...