Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 145 of 179 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1784
    Playing in the rain (well, under my eaves for safety) with the Bigma. Had to bump up to ISO 1600 to get decent shutter speeds. A little blur on the background in PS to cut the noise. I like this lens a lot for the backyard birds. Can't quite get used to the non-Olympus zoom/focus ring layout with the focus ring at the back. I have been using manual focus a lot in the low light of the backyard. This lens shifts focus a lot when you zoom, much more than the Zuiko 50-200.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've been watching the OM with great interest, comparing it and the long slow 75-300 with the 50-200 plus 2x teleconverter. I have to agree the lenses aren't there, realistically every micro 4/3 lens is optically not as good as it's 4/3 counterpart, almost without exception. Also, most of the nice zoom lenses don't exist at all. There are one or two primes that are good enough though, plus the 7-14 (which I'm not interested in). For example the Oly 45mm. It's not nearly contrasty as the 50mm, but the image quality is still very good and pleasant. It's not sharp enough to make your eyes water like the 50mm f/2 macro. The new 25mm f/1.4 is also looking pretty good.

I have recently been hyper busy at work and not taking any pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by kgosden View Post
    Raven,

Considering how quiet the Olympus thread is I would just stick it out here. Great color with that E-PM1. I keep thinking about the new OM-D, but the E-5 is just a year old and the lenses are not there just yet to make me switch. I can hope that there is a new E series with the improved OM-D sensor, but I won't hold my breath.

Playing in the rain (well, under my eaves for safety) with the Bigma. Had to bump up to ISO 1600 to get decent shutter speeds. A little blur on the background in PS to cut the noise. I like this lens a lot for the backyard birds. Can't quite get used to the non-Olympus zoom/focus ring layout with the focus ring at the back. I have been using manual focus a lot in the low light of the backyard. This lens shifts focus a lot when you zoom, much more than the Zuiko 50-200.
    Nice to have that sort of reach. It looks like the focus is on the nearest part of the wing rather than the eye though (funny, I would never have thought about that three years ago. I wonder how many photography mantras are as important as they're made out to be. But since I've been taught that here I am repeating it.)

The DOF at 500mm with a subject near the minimum focus distance is very shallow. Even a 1/4" of sway in the feeder or monopod can throw the subject out of focus a bit. I added a new thistle feeder about 2 feet outside a pair of windows. The gold finches are happy to have more.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's a nice shot kg. Sounds like that lens is quite a handful but it looks like you are taming it nicely. Did you crop this as well?
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Phill,

Cropped it from landscape to portrait. The camera its a but hard to handle in portrait orientation.

Wildlife in various quality of photos. E-410 and 50-200.

Musk Ox
    Name:  P5200913acs.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  236.6 KB

Musk Ox
    Name:  P5280979acs.jpg
Size:  325.8 KB

Musk Ox
    Name:  P5220948acs.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  469.0 KB

Moose
    Name:  P5280988acs.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  362.0 KB

Ptarmigan? I'm not a bird expert.
    Name:  P5220944acs.jpg
Size:  225.3 KB

Raven,

That is definitely a ptarmigin. Sure like the quality of the 50-200 images.

Raven,

That is definitely a ptarmigin. Sure like the quality of the 50-200 images.
    Yeah, I was starting to question the lens for a while because it's so large relative to it's focal length. It's starting to grow on me as I use it more though, it really is sharp. I still think it needs a 2x converter.

OK as a semi impulsive buy (after several years of consideration) I just ordered the 2x teleconverter. I wonder how focusing the 50-200 original + 2x TC compares on an E-410 to a newer micro 4/3 body. Probably sucks either way.