Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 116 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1821
    Those two pictures seem to be general favorites, if I knew which shots were good I guess I wouldn't have to post so many. I guess I never thought of making the girl lighter, but I did a lot to make the darks into blacks to hide some noise. I attached one with the girl a little lighter.

Thanks builder24car, I've got another from the ship I now think is better, I'll get there eventually.

That's a good exposure job Medic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by raven15; 12-09-2010 at 10:59 PM.

OK, guess uploading images directly to this site is the only way now. The last of Mongolia. Next more China, but different places.

These are from a Nadaam festival. The guy I was traveling with told security that since I had a big camera, I was a professional. This allowed me to walk into the thick of things, the only white guy and one of just a few Mongolians allowed within 25 yards or for some people even 100 yards, they were all in the overcrowded stands. Apparently his uncle is the governor of the province, and another uncle was a judge in the award ceremony, so he could do things like that. I awarded him 15 awesomeness points.

The last shot is "the one that got away." The timing was basically perfect. I was shooting into the light, so I decided to use center-weighted metering to avoid underexposing the subjects. Unfortunately the center point here was exactly on a dark place, thus the picture was completely over exposed. Doh! Note to self: use manual mode. (It looks strange because I was using Adobe camera raw to recover highlights, but it makes everything else look weird).
    Last edited by raven15; 12-09-2010 at 11:24 PM.

I loved that pileated woodpecker kgosden, great shot!

Christmas colors in downtown Raleigh from last night....
    I don't make mistakes.....I have happy little accidents. (Bob Ross)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/builder24car/

Love no 2 Raven
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Builder24car,

Great use of spot color.

Raven,

I agree on #2. I would consider cloning out the blurry guy on the right half of the roof as he is a bit distracting.

I like the blurry guy myself.

To me it gives the photo the context that even here and now this is an unusual event people gather to sightsee. Without that context it could be a movie in which case you guess just a photo of an actor in period dress ie no big deal.
    Last edited by Dread Pirate Roberts; 12-12-2010 at 02:33 PM.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Thanks Dread Pirate Roberts and kgosden. I wouldn't have guessed that would be the favorite I admit (I would have put it as my 3rd choice at best). I'll consider cloning the guy out, but so far I think I agree with DPR.

A strange sculpture builder24car. The composition seems a little off to me, maybe if you had moved left and centered the sculpture more (but I wouldn't know because I wasn't there).

Quote Originally Posted by raven15 View Post
    A strange sculpture builder24car. The composition seems a little off to me, maybe if you had moved left and centered the sculpture more (but I wouldn't know because I wasn't there).

I was thinking more along the lines of an ugly sculpture Raven . There's at least four of them there together for some reason? I agree about the composition. One thing I think was that even though my tripod was perfectly level, I was shooting at an angle and it gives the illusion of being tilted, throwing the shot off? This is the same shot, I just tried to "straighten" it in post processsing. I was about as far left as I could get. If I went much farther the spire I was trying to include in the shot would have been behind the sculpture and not seen. This was one of those great ideas that seem great in my mind but turn out like crap when done. No worries, just makes me keep trying until I get it right!
    I don't make mistakes.....I have happy little accidents. (Bob Ross)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/builder24car/

I thought the original was closer to level, or even should go the opposite way. I guess it depends if you are looking for camera-appears-level-with-respect-to-ground or sculpture-appears-vertical. This is my interpretation of "camera-appears-level-with-respect-to-ground."

Or use software... or get a tilt-shift lens (I want one)...

Too bad the only tilt/shift for 4/3rds is the LensBaby. Fun toys I suppose, but not for me. I do think it would have worked to make Builder's shot interesting. All that aside, since all he needs is to fix converging verticals a straight shift only lens would work. I have an Oly 35mm shift I bought to play with. It is tough since it bumps up to an effective 70mm on 4/3rds. A little too long for a lot of in city architecture. But the shorter 24mm is in the $2000 range. I have been thinking of selling my 35mm as they are going for $400-500 on eBay.