Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 92 of 180 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast
    Finally a clear night 'round these parts... first moon shot from me in quite a while.

E-510 + 70-300MM + TCON-14b.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Jekostas, nice moon shot. I am guessing it was on the tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by kgosden View Post
    Jekostas, nice moon shot. I am guessing it was on the tripod?
    Heh. Just about every trick I know for moon shooting, so tripod, remote, mirror lockup, manual focus, RAW, underexpose by 1 stop, 100 ISO.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Yes that is a nice moon shot. Thanks for the tips too I'll have to go & try one myself. Haven't got the TCON though what are you able to get with the 70-300 alone. I'm assuming you spot meter, what aperture do you tend to find works best?
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Looks pretty nice. How do you like the teleconverter in general?

Hey everyone Long time lurker and Olympus user here. Figured I'd use this opportunity to say hi and to try bumping us all towards a new, narrower page

mark

What's up.

A few buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
    Yes that is a nice moon shot. Thanks for the tips too I'll have to go & try one myself. Haven't got the TCON though what are you able to get with the 70-300 alone. I'm assuming you spot meter, what aperture do you tend to find works best?
    Right, yeah, spot metering as well. The 70-300MM will give you perfectly reasonable moon shoots. I try to keep the aperture around F7 or above at 300MM.

Quote Originally Posted by raven15 View Post
    Looks pretty nice. How do you like the teleconverter in general?
    Well, the TCON-14b is a lens extension, not a teleconverter. It's a heavy bugger and the AF slows to a crawl on the 70-300MM, so it's definitely only for very specific uses (like the moon). It can also have a big problem with chromatic aberration, though I got a 3rd-party lens hood off of eBay and that helped a lot.

On the other hand, it cost $25 and doesn't cause any light loss so it's a fun toy to play with. A few of the eagle shots I took a few months back I took through the TCON, as well as the night-time rabbit picture as well.

Also, raven, do you have a polarizing filter? A few of the daytime pics you've posted in the last week look kind of washed out.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    Right, yeah, spot metering as well. The 70-300MM will give you perfectly reasonable moon shoots. I try to keep the aperture around F7 or above at 300MM.

Well, the TCON-14b is a lens extension, not a teleconverter. It's a heavy bugger and the AF slows to a crawl on the 70-300MM, so it's definitely only for very specific uses (like the moon). It can also have a big problem with chromatic aberration, though I got a 3rd-party lens hood off of eBay and that helped a lot.

On the other hand, it cost $25 and doesn't cause any light loss so it's a fun toy to play with. A few of the eagle shots I took a few months back I took through the TCON, as well as the night-time rabbit picture as well.

Also, raven, do you have a polarizing filter? A few of the daytime pics you've posted in the last week look kind of washed out.
    Err.. right that's what I meant. I remember looking at them for my point-and-shoot, never thought about one for a DSLR.

Funny you should mention that, just last week I did a polarizer test, guess which shot has the polarizer guess I need to use one more often:

Raven,
    Is that some duck foot on the roof in the third picture?