Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 64 of 181 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast
    Thanks ya'll. That shot of that pen is very cool Don! Stuff like that I never think about. *sigh*

I guess the pole was only about 15 feet high Don. It's a bit of an illusion with the stands sloping down.

Great shot of the barn Jekostas. I really want to get into some black and white pics. I love the way it looks, my biggest problem is trying to figure out what looks good in black and white?

The orange in that pic really catches one's eyes Raven. That's a neat shot. I can already tell I'll be learning a lot from ya'll.
    I don't make mistakes.....I have happy little accidents. (Bob Ross)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/builder24car/

Quote Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
    Great shot of the barn Jekostas. I really want to get into some black and white pics. I love the way it looks, my biggest problem is trying to figure out what looks good in black and white?
    Thanks. It's actually a fish cannery, and the reason it's in black and white in this particular instance was that the light was terrible. Bright, but very overcast so no really good colour, but plenty of hard contrast. Black and white just ended up working better for this picture.

As to the latter part of your question... well, experiment. They're digital files, you can make copies and just try different things, why not?
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Ah, those fall colours. Taken in a lovely rain.
    Yes, yes I know, square-ish crop but I think it works here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    They're digital files, you can make copies and just try different things, why not?

You are so right jekostas and that's what I'm going to do more of practice, practice, practice. I love the fall colors! Maybe some day the leaves will start turning here? *sigh*

Speaking of practice, that's what I was doing with this pic. I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I say that because I'm trying so hard to shoot in anything but my automatic settings because I want to learn this stuff and I will if it kills me! I need input as to what I should have done to make it a perfect shot? I liked the shot because it was the only white mushroom in the entire area and it stood out. However there's something wrong with the mushroom I think, it doesn't seem "clear"? I was shooting in shutter priority (for my homework) at 1/80th sec F3.5 and the ISO at 1000. I took it at approx 6:23 pm which was almost dusk. I'm doing a lot better, but have soooo far to go.........
    Last edited by builder24car; 10-18-2009 at 07:41 AM.

There was a female plumber at the Martinsville race last fall.
    Last edited by builder24car; 10-17-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Uh, you want to try and keep it under 800 x 800 pixels...

Cheers, Don

The orange in that pic really catches one's eyes Raven. That's a neat shot. I can already tell I'll be learning a lot from ya'll.
    Doh! I was hoping the irony of a guy smoking as he walks away from a McD's and a church would be more obvious... maybe next time I'll get it right....

The mushroom is out of focus and overexposed. Shooting at a lower ISO (100 - 200 is best) would help a lot, but you might need a tripod or rest the camera on a tree. Second, you can set the focus point and exposure exactly on the mushroom, which will make it in focus and properly exposed, but the woods will be darker. I definitely like the idea of it though.

Sorry raven I didn't notice the McD sign there. Need more coffee before I start surfing the forum in future.
    Builder that was a difficult shot to get right with so much contrast, I think raven got it pretty much spot on in his comments. Getting closer and going for other angles where you could arange a different range of depths between the mushroom & trees might also have helped. If it was in too awkward a position you could always pick it & reposition it
    Last edited by Phill D; 10-17-2009 at 10:30 PM.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

I resized it Don, thanks for letting me know about the size.

Raven, I didn't even notice the Mickey Ds sign and I didn't know what the church looked like? My bad! *makes note to pay attention..........that or slack off on the beer when viewing posts*

Thanks for the input Raven and Phill, I appreciate it! A lot of what I'm doing is trial and error but I figure if I keep trying I'll get the hang of it I hope? Here's an example. I took about 50 pics of a hummer today in manual settings. I kept this one because it was the best. (pic 1) A while back I took a pic of hummer on the sport setting. (pic 2) I know today's pic sucks, however I'm a lot more excited about it because I did most of the work and not the camera if that makes sense. It was shot at 1/250 sec F4.5 ISO of 400 and manual focus through a window with very cloudy conditions outside. In both pics I cropped the feeder out.......

Thanks for the input Raven and Phill, I appreciate it! A lot of what I'm doing is trial and error but I figure if I keep trying I'll get the hang of it I hope? Here's an example. I took about 50 pics of a hummer today in manual settings. I kept this one because it was the best. (pic 1) A while back I took a pic of hummer on the sport setting. (pic 2) I know today's pic sucks, however I'm a lot more excited about it because I did most of the work and not the camera if that makes sense. It was shot at 1/250 sec F4.5 ISO of 400 and manual focus through a window with very cloudy conditions outside. In both pics I cropped the feeder out.......
    Hummingbirds are pretty difficult things to shoot builder, and those are pretty good (though I think you're stealing Don's schtick).

In terms of the mushroom shot, I actually really like the concept.For the exposure problem, if you have a scene like this with some very dark, and some very light elements, try bracketing your shot, say with a three shot .7EV bracketing setting (you'll have to look this up in the manual).

Since this was more of a shutter speed lesson, you could also try a program like Noiseware Community edition (free, and very, very good) to get rid of some of the digital noise inherent in the picture.

Also, try some different crops, maybe with the two foreground trees as the extreme edges, framing the tree with the mushroom more.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0