Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 54 of 180 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast
    kgosden those mountain ridges look really cool & the ducks were a very good spot. Yellow bird is good too but I just find myself wishing you could have positioned the bit of green background behind the bird to separate it from the background a bit more (being very picky now sorry).
    Raven maybe it's just me but I'd say your recent shots seem to have more vibrancy is that an effect of the 620 or PP. That last set are very nice but my favourite is the flower one. I really like the colours & DOF effect.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

I expect it's mostly PP, but the new camera may help by allowing highlights and shadows to show more color.

I think my 7-step sharpen/microcontrast/contrast method has a lot to do with it though. Click the button once and it starts to show a little pop. Click twice and all sharpness and microcontrast woes are gone (I click twice for the 70-300mm). Click three times and it begins to cure slightly out of focus images. Four times continues the trend. Click more than four times and I went overboard on all but the most forgiving shots.

Care to explain a bit more - what program are you referring to?

Phil, I agree that the bird shot was not ideal for a bird shot. But I liked the yellow and black goldfinch as a part of the pattern of flowers. However, here is a more standard shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Whoah yes, that bird is much better. Very nice! But the other one might be better too, if you could increase contrast and somehow make it stand out from the back a bit more.

Just photoshop. I recorded an action that applies 6 levels of unsharp mask followed by auto contrast. They are:

250 pix +4
    64 pix +2
    16 pix +1
    4 pix + 2
    1 pix + 4
    0.5 pix + 8
    Auto contrast

or something to that effect. It applies a whole lot of sharpness and contrast, with no clear boundary of which is which (in fact, they aren't any different in this sense except in scale).

kgosden yes that one works much better nice one. Its not that I didn't like the first one I did, it's just that the positioning of the background flowers behind the bird wasn't doing you any favours. With a bit of PS clipping perhaps you could rearrange them such that the fairly regular pattern of flowers in the background is continued but the greaner gap is behind the bird That way it would look like the bird is filling in the flower pattern.

Thanks Raven that's quite involved. I've only got access to elements at the moment but I think I could try something similar. I need to reload elements onto the PC as I've only been using Picasa recently.

Raven,

I am not following how these are implemented. When I look at unsharp mask I have Amount in %, Radius in pixels and Threshold. Are you setting Radius = 250 and Threshold = 4? If so, what about the Amount?

I recorded an action that applies 6 levels of unsharp mask followed by auto contrast. They are:

250 pix +4
    64 pix +2
    16 pix +1
    4 pix + 2
    1 pix + 4
    0.5 pix + 8
    Auto contrast

No, those are radius and amount. I left threshold at its default value. It's only a six step version of something many people do as a two step version: say 40% sharpening at 0.5 pixels and 30% at 50 pixels, but I think it's more effective applying it so many different levels in different amounts. Once it is recorded I only have to hit it once, and I can even make it part of a batch so I can do it to all my pictures automatically (I haven't done that yet though).

I refined it recently, because I was getting bad results from over sharpening in the 1-64 pixel range. At the 1-4 pixel radius it tends to bring out noise and make it into larger clumps, and the 4-64 pixel radius makes things... weird.

Quote Originally Posted by kgosden View Post
    Phil, I agree that the bird shot was not ideal for a bird shot. But I liked the yellow and black goldfinch as a part of the pattern of flowers. However, here is a more standard shot.
    I actually like the first one better. It's yellow on yellow, yes, but the nice bokeh and contrast between the different shades of yellow looks good.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Raven Sharpener Action

Raven,

So I took your response to mean radius =250, Amount=40% & Threshold=3 (default), etc. Based on that I created a 'Raven Sharpener' action. Here is a before and after. It certainly boosts the apparent sharpness and dehazed the image. However, I am not certain it isn't too much in this case. The butterfly was back lit and the hazy quality might be desired as part of the sense of place and time.
    Attached Images Attached Images