Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

PowerShot A590---battery always dead (even new)

Hi,

Just got a new Canon A 590. Every time I put in a new set of batteries, after a few shots (or a few days in between), the camera tells me I need to change batteries. The icon of a dead battery shows up. This is very frustrating b/c I can't believe a brand new set of batteries dies out only after taking 5 or so pictures. What's up with this? Is this model a piece of junk? anyone have any slight idea what I am doing wrong? Seems strange. Please help!

Are you using Alkalines or NiMHs?

Also, it sounds like you may have a faulty camera - I'd say trade it for another one. If you still have the problem, try a set of low-dispersion NiMH batteries - Wal-Mart sells a cheap (and very, very good set) by Rayovac

Try NiMH. Alkalines are crap in a P&S (even good ones). If you're already using NiMH and don't use the camera often, it's likely that the batteries are being self-discharged to the point of deadness by the time you pick up the camera again. They lose a lot of juice in a relatively short amount of time. If you rarely use your camera, try Sanyo Eneloops or similar (search places for "low-discharge" batteries). They don't give you longer life in-camera than standard NiMH but they hold their charge better when just sitting.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 08-09-2008 at 08:31 PM.
    Ouch.

Don't blame the cam...

According to Jeff's review HERE it's good for 450 shots with 2500MaH NiMH batteries.

Cheers

Maybe it is a similar issue like this one:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...=2111&id=28799
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair

it happened to my A520 but only with non rechargeable batteries :S
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

Perhaps it is the charger?
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

My old A85 started doing this after 4 years of service and using alkies

Turned out it was because i was using the computer to format or delete pictures or movies from the memory card. Started letting the camera do it under format or delete and it's been perfect ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by MaDMaXX View Post
    Turned out it was because i was using the computer to format or delete pictures or movies from the memory card. Started letting the camera do it under format or delete and it's been perfect ever since.
    Excuse me, but how can these two remote things be related to each other?
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair

Hah! wouldn't you believe it, i was *this* close to having to go out and buy a new camera. I found that recall for newer cameras mentioned above, but it didn't quite apply, it did partially.

I had by this point, several sets of Nmh's to mess with, and on one battery flat episode (i kept forcing it to come back on again) i saw a weird code error, only ever saw it the once and it refered to a knackered memory card.

That just made things worse, card knackerd as well as the camera, not even related issues!
    My Dad mentioned on his old Fuji that he had problems with his memory card not reading in the PC sometimes and he had to stop using that and jsut use the camera for clearing the pics off that he'd transferred.

Tried this on a new set of batteries, chose the format option instead of the wipe pictures option and it's been perfect ever since, no more battery issues.

I can only assume that the problem with the memory card causes obnoxious power usage and showed that before the mem card error.