Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Small town, small parade

Afew pics from today, First parade for marching band, must be almost time for school
    Attached Images Attached Images    

A few more

Nothing fancy, just casual shots, resized for here.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Lightbulb Lightening your shadow effects

Sean?

An all girl band? LOL

Anyway, consider fill flash under such brilliant lighting conditions. It'll soften the shadows ... which are a little harsh. I know it sounds a little strange to use flash in broad daylight, but that is precisely what will make your images pop and clear. Kind of like "fighting fire with fire."

Something similar to this effect:

Name:  shadow tuba fill flash effect.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  296.8 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-09-2008 at 04:24 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yea I saw pretty harsh shadows, wasnt sure how well the onboard flash would have worked with all the reflective surfaces? I have played around a bit witjh fill flash and think I have the basic idea down, but again a bright sunny mid day parade, just don't think of the flash LOL

P.S. no not all girls but I tend to shoot my daughter and her friends, 170 kids in band this year including the "band-aids" not bad for a high school with less then a thousand kids!
    Last edited by seanhoxx; 08-09-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added info.

Lightbulb Saturation ... something to be watched

Sean ... color saturation is another facet of images that really has to be watched in digital imaging. I find myself taking it down a notch or two, just to keep it real?

Here's a sample:

Name:  clowning around.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  120.9 KB

What do you think?
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

LOL as awlways Don much better, vivid plus 1+1+1 maybe not in the bright sun eh?

Yeah! I use AdobeRGB for almost everything, mainly because I print.

"sRGB" or "Standard" keeps things a little more true to the web and reduces conversion when posting.

I have 0 to brightness. +1 to contrast. +3 to sharpness.

flickr & Sdi