Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

just took over 700 wedding photos... now what do I do?

OK, so I helped a friend and took her wedding photos yesterday. my first time. I took over 700 photos. What steps do you take after a wedding?

I am planning to go through them and get rid of all the worst ones but what else can I do? What should I use?
    I have Photoshop CS2 (ver 9), and Canon DPP and Picasa.

The wedding was in an old church with dark wood around stage and I couldn't use flash during main part of ceremony. My 70-300 zoom isn't a fast lens, so had to shoot that at 1600 or 1000iso. I have heard of programs that fix noise reduction. What do you use or do I need to?
    My 18-50 zoom was ok, used 800iso mostly. Really wished I had something that zoomed higher to 85 or so or faster lens. But I did ok, I guess

I want to give them as many as possible, I guess on a CD or a few CDs. And they can do whatever they want with them.

I would appreciate some advice on what steps to take next and how much time it takes to give them the best images I can.

Thanks.
    have: Canon 30D, Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8, Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 EF IS USM, Speedlite 430EX, LowePro SlingShot 100 AW, couple filters, cheap tripod, monopod
    want: 50mm

Absolute first thing to do if you haven't already, is backup every image you've shot to an external hard drive and either CD or DVD.

If your familiar with how to get around in DPP that might be the best choice for working on many images. I've used it for weddings and still do occasionally (kind of working with Lightroom more now). DPP has the ability to copy recipe edits you've done and paste them to groups of images. This helps if you for instance you have to color correct and adjust exposure to several of the same type images, copy the recipe of one you've fixed and then paste the recipe to a group that needs the similar fixing. The good thing about DPP is when you edit an image, you've only added a recipe of fixes and the original image is still intact.

Unless you have some images that need some editing in detail. CS2 might be a slow way to go.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Save your images to a hard drive and to a DVD.

Then get the settings right - using DPP on one image and apply a global adjustment to all the images.

Next check through to see if there are now any images obviously wrong and maybe tweak the formula and fix them with suitable recipes.

Next batch convert to JPEG and save the JPEGs to DVD.

Then feel free to do some editing/deleting etc. I would suggest deleting the obvious duffers at this point. I culled 265 charity photos down to 190 a couple of days ago. Some were pretty good - I had too many of the same person - that kind of thing.

Finally, correct, crop etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_48 View Post
    Absolute first thing to do if you haven't already, is backup every image you've shot to an external hard drive and either CD or DVD.

If your familiar with how to get around in DPP that might be the best choice for working on many images. I've used it for weddings and still do occasionally (kind of working with Lightroom more now). DPP has the ability to copy recipe edits you've done and paste them to groups of images. This helps if you for instance you have to color correct and adjust exposure to several of the same type images, copy the recipe of one you've fixed and then paste the recipe to a group that needs the similar fixing. The good thing about DPP is when you edit an image, you've only added a recipe of fixes and the original image is still intact.

Unless you have some images that need some editing in detail. CS2 might be a slow way to go.
    Right, Thanks. Yes, right now I have a copy on my laptop and then my desktop. For some reason my DVD burner is not working. Only burns to CDs. so could burn a bunch of CDs I guess.

I haven't used DPP much but can learn. Can you deal with noise reduction there?
    I did find www.neatimage.com online but don't know anything about.

I will start playing with DPP and see what I can do.
    have: Canon 30D, Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8, Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 EF IS USM, Speedlite 430EX, LowePro SlingShot 100 AW, couple filters, cheap tripod, monopod

As long as your exposure is good, I wouldn't spend too much time trying to hide the noise. I used to shoot at 1600 a lot with my 30D, and never ran any noise reduction on the files. In my experience (as long as you don't underexpose the shots), you won't even see the noise up to 11x14 prints. BTW, when editing photos, I never look at them at greater than 50%. If it looks good at 50% it will look good in a large print.
    www.jamisonwexler.com

Canon 5dII|Canon 5D|Canon 40D|Sigma 15 f2.8|Canon 35 f1.4|Canon 50 f2.5|Canon 50 f1.8|Canon 85 f1.2|Canon 17-40 f4|Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS|Canon 24-105 f4 IS|Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5|Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS|Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 IS|Kenko 1.4x TC|Canon 580ex X3|Canon 380exII |Canon 420ex|Sunpak 383 x4|Sunpak 120j x2|Sunpak 622|Elinchrom Skyports

Past Gear

Quote Originally Posted by jamison55 View Post
    ...BTW, when editing photos, I never look at them at greater than 50%. If it looks good at 50% it will look good in a large print.
    See there, still learning great tid-bits from ya' Jamie!!

Hey dandcp! Good for you for getting out there and shooting!

Everyone has given you the advice I would have already.

To give your shots a little variety, converst some to B&W.

OH YEAH, and you have to post some too!
    UPS drivers should wear red and white like Santa!!

Quote Originally Posted by JMWallace View Post
    Ditto on that, you've got more balls than me.

By the way, I would also recommend going to Canon's website and dowloading the latest version of DPP.
    Michael B.
    Canon 5D2, 550D, Sony NEX 5N, Sigma 15mm fish, 24L mkI, 35L, 40mm f/2.8, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro, 60mm macro, 100mm f/2, 70-200 f/4, 200 f/2.8 mk I, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, 430EX. Growing list of MF lenses!

if you plan to do this alot, i'd definitely recommend lightroom to edit your photos. it has decent sharpening/noise reduction and can pretty much do anything you need done....and will do it fast.

if you're talking about opening 700 images in neat image and 700 images in photoshop you'll get way overwhelmed.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

If you do find yourself using Photoshop a lot and doing the same things over and over - create actions out of those processes.

What I'll do is open a set of images (no more than 100 though else Photoshop will lag too much) that need the same edits and batch those with File > Automate > Batch for each action necessary. I can usually walk away for a second to refill coffee at this point. I'll then go through them the same way with any other actions that can be applied. I'll then save all those edits at Level 10 (saving is also an action I batch, which also contains steps that automatically create various smaller sizes for the web, memory books, etc). Once they're saved, I'll close those out and open the next 100 images and do the same processes again, saving them without the pixel-level edits (cloning, healing, skin smoothing, etc). Once that's all done, I'll then re-open the files that need the pixel-level editing and just do those...usually not until someone orders a print of it. The pixel-level editing can be tedious and if no one ever orders a print of the image, or it never goes into my portfolio, or they never ordered a CD of all images, there's no sense wasting the time on it.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by JMWallace

OH YEAH, and you have to post some too!
    Thanks,
    Ok finally here are some of the photos.
    I decided to post them as is without any PP for now and to ask for suggestions or comments from you all.

These are all shot with my 30D, I only have 2 lens. Which was challenging at times as I don't have anything between the 18-50 and the 70-300(which is slow)

here we go:

(Inside church)

1. Groom by stained glass window
    170mm, ISO800, F5, 1/100

2. Bride by window
    120mm, ISO400, F5, 1/160

3. Walking down
    18mm, ISO800, F4, 1/60 -diffused flash

4. Wide view from back
    18mm, ISO1600, F4, 1/80

5. Vows
    75mm, ISO800, F4, 1/60

Here are a few from outside in the park. (We were so rushed! Too stressfull)

6. Party under flowers
    31mm, ISO100, F5, 1/250 -diffused flash

7. Jump!
    23mm, ISO100, F8, 1/250 -diffused flash

8. Tree kiss
    140mm, ISO100, F5, 1/60

9. Just guys
    31mm, ISO100, F5.6, 1/60 -diffused flash

10. Just girls
    29mm, ISO100, F5.6, 1/250 -diffused flash

I'll stop there.
    I have played a bit in DPP and also in Photoshop and Picasa (I don't like how they look after Picasa). Have tried some to B&W. May post them later.

I am open to any C&C. Suggestions on PP, cropping, lighting, how to do it better next time. Anything.
    Thanks for looking.