Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question >= 10mp; >= 10x zoom; underwater housing; additional lenses/filter?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade from my Olympus C770 camera, but am finding it hard to do so because I can't seem to find any cameras which meet my requirements:

1) >= 10 mega pixels (not point in going from 4mp to something like 6)

2) at least 10x optical zoom, but preferably at least 15x, with image stabilization. I don't care about digital zoom as I don't use it.

3) an underwater housing case is a must (I don't want to have to purchase 2, 3, or more cameras). My current Olympus camera is great because not only can I take it scuba diving, but also paintballing, snowboarding, etc.

4) the ability to add on additional lenses/filters, such as a wide-angle lense, polarizer filter, etc.

5) Can also shoot in 3:2 mode for simple 4x6 prints. Should be able to produce great 8x10 photos as well.

Budget isn't an issue.

Size doesn't matter as long as the camera isn't super huge.

Generally I take lots of nature/scenic shots, but enjoy capturing short video clips/action shots in sporting events, or like a group people photo at parties.

I don't want to have to do a lot of things manually. Yes, I like adjusting settings here and there, but I want to be able to choose settings, have the camera remember them, and then shoot.

Don't want to get into the SLR range of things as that's way too complicated for me and too much to carry around on holiday.

Closest camera models I've come across (but don't quite make it) are:
    1) Fujifilm Finepix s8100fd (no underwater housing; doesn't seem to have options for additional filters/lenses)
    2) Sony DSC-H50 (again, no housing, and also nonstandard lense adapter size)
    3) Panosonic FZ28S (not released yet, but doesn't look like it's going to have an underwater housing either)
    4) Olympus SP-570UZ (doesn't look like there's a housing for it, have read poor reviews regarding image quality, and doesn't look like it shoots in 3:2 mode either?)

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, inside scoops to upcoming models, anything?

Thanks!

Nix your megapixel count requirement.

Seriously, if nothing else, forget the megapixel count. You can get a good 8x10 picture out of a 5-6 megapixel camera.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    Nix your megapixel count requirement.

Seriously, if nothing else, forget the megapixel count. You can get a good 8x10 picture out of a 5-6 megapixel camera.
    There's no reason I can justify upgrading to a 5 or 6mp when my 4mp camera (10x optical zoom, threads for additional lenses/filters, water housing, mpeg 4 video, etc) can do more now then a good portion of 5/6mp cameras out there currently on the market.

But even if I lower my requirements to an 8 or 9mp camera, you're still hard pressed to find a camera (is there any currently on the market?) that meets all the other requirements (you didn't name any in your response for a 5 or 6mp).

Anyone else please?

Quote Originally Posted by firemyst View Post
    There's no reason I can justify upgrading to a 5 or 6mp when my 4mp camera (10x optical zoom, threads for additional lenses/filters, water housing, mpeg 4 video, etc) can do more now then a good portion of 5/6mp cameras out there currently on the market.

But even if I lower my requirements to an 8 or 9mp camera, you're still hard pressed to find a camera (is there any currently on the market?) that meets all the other requirements (you didn't name any in your response for a 5 or 6mp).

Anyone else please?
    What do you want me to tell you? You've already discounted Olympus and it's the only company that I'm aware of that does first-party waterproof cases for their ultrazooms.

Oh, and increasing pixel count on ultrazooms degrades image quality because of noise issues and necessary sensor size.

Get a Canon S5 and this...

http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/can_s5is.html

Meets all your requirements.
    Last edited by JTL; 08-06-2008 at 10:05 PM.
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

Quote Originally Posted by JTL View Post
    Get a Canon S5 and this...

http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/can_s5is.html

Meets all your requirements.
    Except, according to the Canon website with the image sizes) it doesn't appear to have any 3:2 shooting modes?

Are you really going to remember to change the shooting mode every time? Just shoot in 4:3 and crop it, it'll make your life easier. All an aspect ratio setting does is crop it for you in the camera...I really don't think you should discount a camera over that. The exact camera people want doesn't always exist - Compromise is the name of the game.
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

Do you ever print greater than 8x10? If not, don't fret over megapixels. Besides- the more MP on a sensor, the more noise there will be, which is bad for diving since you're usually in low light. The marketing departments have just convinced you that more pixels=better. We're at the point these days where pretty much all but the cheapest cameras have more than adequate pixel count. After 5 or 6 it really doesn't matter much unless you plan to make big enlargements.

I agree with Paradox about the aspect ratio thing. All cameras have one native aspect ratio, and anything else is just an in-camera crop, at the expense of resolution (i.e., you lose some of those precious megapixels).

It sounds to me like your current camera probably suits you fine and you've a case of camer-itis. Maybe you should keep your current camera for ultrazoom duties and get a compact camera. My SD800 took great underwater pics, and the G-series is much better than that.