Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    Like I said the 17-50 seems to be a outstanding lens. Everything I have read and researched indicates that a minolta AF 50mm prime 1.7 is THE prime lens for the alpha cameras, as I mentioned before I don't know if it is part full frame preperation, or some "glass panic" but used 50mm 1.7's are going for like 120.00 to 150.00 on ebay, and that is about a 10 - 12 percent increase in the last 6 weeks, and 10 - 12 months ago they were like $65.00 The color reproduction is said to be better on the 1.7 then the 2.1. I have one one the way for $100.00 as a favor to me.
    I really "want" the 200-500mm i think it will be fun to use, but I could really use the new but not yet here 80-200 or 70-200mm can never remember 2.8 for sports shooting as the light goes down. who knows when we will be able to get it though. The 90mm is also on the short list also.
    maybe we need to work this out, think we can get any kind of discount from Tamron if one of us buys in threes? LOL but then the shipping kills us. Have to save your change guys and don't wait to long, who knows what Tamron's will {go away} next
    Actually yeah, the 50mm f/1.7 was the one I was thinking of. 2.8's are all macros (on dyxum assuming it's correct, ). I saw you were looking for one a while back and I just started looking. Oh well, it can wait. Can't believe they were only $80 New when it was available...... Sony needs a few cheap good quality primes. Canon has like F1.7 50mms I believe for like $50.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    The SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO is a really good lens, once it is "tuned up." It shoots just as well as the 17-50mm f/2.8 does, but if you have any aspirations of buying a SONY α900 (Full Frame) ... that's the lens I would buy, instead of the 17-50mm f/2.8 Di-II. Is it on par with a CZ 24-70mm f/2.8? Hey, at $329 ... I dare Carl Zeiss to certify anything even close to that price. Their 24-70 is easily $1650. LOL

Would you guys tell if you come across a fountain of change that allows you to buy such equipment? I am desperately looking for it, myself.
    lmao ...... will do!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

frog scared me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

I also use the Tamron lens above, rich full colors, I just need to use the camera settings better It is also a VERY nice lens for the price IMHO. and has been highly suggested for quality/price/function.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    Yes it is my Tamron 70-300. I am real happy with the lens. Those are the original colors. I did edit in PS just contrast, curves and some sharpness. I had the Quantary 70-300 and was happy with that until the AF got stripped. I was told this was a common problem with these lenses. Don recommended the Tamron an as usual with his recommendations they are right on.
    Ok, my next lens shall be Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD

fountain of change

I don't think those fountains are anywhere here in the midwest Don, but I will keep looking also. Man do people get upset when you TAKE money out of those things Hmmnn extra change ideas, lets see Frank your close to the beach right? so camera in one hand metal detector in the other let us know what you find! I hear you can sell your blood plazma like once every couple of weeks, maybe look into recycled metals, so drink more beer in cans! It seems that B+H has a pretty good payment plan, anyone use it? the only draw back is they do expect to be paid. anyone else have ideas?
    Also Don or anyone else have ideas for old Minolta or current Tamron lenses that are going to be overlooked, and therefore maybe drop down in price as people "focus" on the full frame? seems you can't go wrong with that 6 yr. warranty on new Tamrons though. What about any Tokina's

Tokina is currently not licensed to make a SONY-mount lens. You might say, they are out of the picture. Then again, you might not.

Old Minolta lenses will work just fine on the new A900. In fact, much like they did on the Minolta 35mm-film cameras (AF-mount, of course, not the MD-mount). I fully plan on using my Minolta 50mm f/1.4 and Minolta 28mm f/2.8 regularly. Overlooked? I really don't think so. Unused, perhaps.

Remember, the way to tell the difference between a standard Minolta AF-mount/Older TAMRON lenses w/ Minolta-mount and a SONY mount/Konica-Minolta "D" mount/TAMRON Di & Di-II is the number of electrical contacts on the back of the lens.

The newer lenses have eight,

Name:  8-contacts.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  209.9 KB

whereas the older ones only five.

Name:  5-contacts.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  173.7 KB

Hey, how about that DOF?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-13-2008 at 12:36 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

What functionality is lost from those 3 missing contacts, and what is not? I've yet to "invest" in one of the older Minolta lenses, and have never had a straight answer on this issue. (But I'm sure Don can explain in detail.)

how about that DOF

Very nice Don, so tell us what lens your new CZ I bet.
    Also when you look at the base of the lens the second point of contact will be a larger square one. My understanding based on my very limited knowledge base is that the 5 contact points don't allow the through the lens metering for distance etc. for the flash unit? not sure about anything else, Please let me know if that is incorrect, so I know also.
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    What functionality is lost from those 3 missing contacts, and what is not? I've yet to "invest" in one of the older Minolta lenses, and have never had a straight answer on this issue. (But I'm sure Don can explain in detail.)
    That's a little presumptuous ... LOL

Okay, here we go (history from Minolta) ...

In Japan, lenses and cameras are a little more "nuts", as it were, and the ideas were jumping off the drawing board at Minolta. They came up with a series of cameras with "multi-predictive focus" control ("si"-series) and the discontinuance of the Creative Expansion Card of the "xi"-series of Maxxum 35mm film cameras. This involved auto-zooming (no kidding) of the Power-Zooms ('xi'-lenses). They were discontinued with these 'xi'-series cameras, but their compatibility was maintained with all later Maxxum-series cameras (hence the beginning of the "standardized" eight-contact lenses form). Therefore, the Power Zooms remained compatible with all later AF system bodies, as the extra lens mount contacts to provide the power and zoom control were left in place. Eventually, these extra contacts would be developed into the ‘D’ specification. Powered zoom ‘xi’ lenses can be used with the Sony Alpha range of DSLR cameras.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Panda! Hah!

I hope that clears up any confusion and fills in this rather bizarre and semmingly unexplained chapter in lens development history. No operational loss is experienced with the lack of those additional three contacts, but just you try and find an "xi"-lens to slap on your SONY.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-13-2008 at 02:10 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Red face Some discussion about the "D"-spec

Very nice Don, so tell us what lens your new CZ I bet.
    Hardly, Sean ... that was with my new "Ring Light" (HVL-RLAM) and the TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di lens. The minimum focus distance of the 135mm f/1.8 is about 2.4 feet. It's kind of tough to get close with it. I was holding the lens about 8 inches from the MACRO lens.

Also when you look at the base of the lens the second point of contact will be a larger square one. My understanding based on my very limited knowledge base is that the 5 contact points don't allow the through the lens metering for distance etc. for the flash unit? not sure about anything else, Please let me know if that is incorrect, so I know also.
    Sean
    The "D"-specification redesigned these three contacts for use with the ADI (Advanced Distance Information) ... where distance information is coordinated with the external FLASH to provide proper illumination. ADI is more important for digital cameras than it was for film ones. DSLRs don't have real flash TTL-metering (because the reflections of the CCD are not usable), so they have to rely on a combination of preflash-TTL, distance information, and maybe also an additional sensor in the flash unit itself (like the old "auto" flashes).

So, if you were to see some degradation of performance, using the older 5-contact lenses ... it would only be with using the external flash units (currently the HVL-F36AM, HVL-F56AM and probably the upcoming HVL-F42AM and HVL-58AM, also). Anyone who has experienced the DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 (eight-contacts) with using the pop-up flash, already knows it makes no difference at all.

One thing I can assure you ... using TTL flash, in any form, can be a tricky proposition. Personally, I am much more at home using manually-adjusted flash and just "scoping it in" from that and a good ol' light meter.

It is what I call: "Staying out of TTL-Hell!"

Man, it never fails that you drag me right into the most controversial aspects of Photography! -LOL- Life is good, eh?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-13-2008 at 03:30 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Don If you go with this lens SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO then you still need a wide angle lens. What would you get for for the true wide angle? Is the 28-75 a true 1:1 macro? Will it replace the Tamron 90 mm.?
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter