Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Smile Studio studies ...

Basically, my main interest is to establish a decent lighting setup ... one I can reliably shoot with. It looks close ... I have some adjustment test shots to make, but it seems to be working. I wound up using 3x 750W & one 125W (hair light) Travelites. It's a standard of sorts, others do it with three lights.

As far as APS-C sensor cameras ( α100, α200, α300, α350, α700), you are correct in that they have the 1.5x DCF when compared to the 35mm-film & Full Frame (α900)

In preparation for this, I have the SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di for the APS-C and the CZ 135mm f/1.8 for the α900. So, bring on the big boy! LOL

I really want to put the primes to work. They don't much use when you are in the field. I feel the 50mm f/1.7 (or 1.4) is a real workhorse, though, especially on the full frame camera. It's a 75mm (short tele) on the APS-C cameras, but still extremely useful in low light situations.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-12-2008 at 10:10 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Red face A peek behind the scenes ... home studio

Anyway ... it's a little cramped, but here it is ...

Name:  Living-Room-Lighting-Studio.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  323.5 KB

The 750W backsplash holds "gels" for coloring the stone (gray) backdrop. I am so surprised at how nicely this works ... and reduces the need to change the backdrop. I do have white, black and patchwork-midnight blue backdrops, for those unusual shots you run into.

The hairlight has a grid on it, to control the illumination of the head. These come in a variety of sizes, to expand the angle of coverage.

The "soft boxes" limit the spread of light, unlike the reflector umbrellas, and keep the twin 750Ws from washing out the backdrop.

At this point, you just walk your subject in ... have them offer up whatever expession they want and push the shutter release.

Everything is synchronized with the Pocket-Wizard Plus II. The "transmitter" is plugged into the A700's pc-sync port. The "receiver" one is on the hairlight. When the "hairlight" goes off, the other three strobes (through built in cell-detectors) trigger, simultaneously. Unfortunately, using these strobes in this way will allow them to trigger with other flashes going off (pre-trigger flash included).

Name:  living-rm-lighting-2.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  221.4 KB

Before, when I had the Canon DSLR system, I was trying to make do with Reflectors and using the elex flash as the "hairlight". Triggered by the ST-E2, mounted atop the EOS 20D ... it had to be optically in-line with the remote flash (580EX). That's kind of a tall order, when you subject it sitting right in front of darn thing. The "hairlight" has to originate usually from behind. Oh, you can try to pound out some stuff, but once you have the "proper" equipment, it really is a hell of a lot easier ... and faster. Comes down to the "Right tool for the right job."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-13-2008 at 10:30 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Sounds like you got it all well thought out! Looks like fun too! Thanks for sharing!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I need to get some relatively cooperative subjects to work out the kinks. It is amazing how camera-shy 95% of the public is, when you ask. No matter how nice you make people look, they tend to be uncomfortable with how they see themselves.

I'm not the easiest of people in the art of direction ... mainly because I am rather demanding. The technical aspect of the set up is important to me ... ensuring the lighting it just so. I believe I am still learning with every element of it and hardly comfortable with the overall setup, yet. Like I said, it's close. A lot better than it was, only a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-13-2008 at 10:50 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I need to get some relatively cooperative subjects to work out the kinks. It is amazing how camera-shy 95% of the public is, when you ask. No matter how nice you make people look, they tend to be uncomfortable with how they see themselves.

I'm not the easiest of people in the art of direction ... mainly because I am rather demanding. The technical aspect of the set up is important to me ... ensuring the lighting it just so. I believe I am still learning with every element of it and hardly comfortable with the overall setup, yet. Like I said, it's close. A lot better than it was, only a few weeks ago.
    I'd say I am one of that 95% lol , so I can see how people feel. I love getting good candids of random people though.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Any further discussion concerning the "studio lighting" will be in new thread ... Oshkosh is over, b'gosh!

flickr & Sdi