Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting a DSLR this weekend, Some Questions!

Hey everyone, future DSLR owner here.

This weekend I will be getting my first DSLR camera. Its something new for me, but I have worked with them before. I'd say I'm not completely dumb when it comes to these cameras, but I've made mistakes before =]

I know the basics like ISO, lens dimensions, focal stuff, zoom etc. I just need to know what I should get for my photography subjects.

My budget is $1,000. I don't want to go with a beginner camera, as I am past that stage I'd say. I also can learn things very quickly, so I want to jump right into the intermediate stage.

My first choice is a Sony Alpha 350K [14.2MP, ISO 100-3200, includes a 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens] - $800

From what I've heard, I will need another lens as well, which is where I need help.

Here are the main photographs I will be taking with my camera:
    Landscapes
    Occasional Action/Sport
    Macro
    Night [With time lapse]
    Travel/Outdoor

I know its alot, but I want to know what is the best single lens [2 is pushing it] for these photography styles.

Links would be a big help as well! Also, if anyone has the Sony DSLR above, how do you like it?

Thanks in advance for anyone's input.

Why is the Sony your choice? Do you have a tripod?
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

I chose the Sony because the DSLR I have used a few times [and made some nice shots with] was the 300K, one model below the one I am looking at.

And yes, I have 3 tripods. One gorilla pod, one ~5ft steel tripod, and another ~2ft tripod

Thanks for the response =]

If you're looking at getting a mid-level dSLR right away and you're set on the Sony, get the body only and buy the lenses seperately.

The kit lens sold with the lower-end Sony cameras is notoriously bad

Which lens would you recommend, then. It seems that you cannot purchase the camera without the kit lens. However I can step down to the 300K which is 10.2MP, no lens for $600.

But still, I need to know what lens I would need. And where should I buy the lenses from? I've heard nothing but good about B&H photo, and we have a few camera stores in my area.

Until you start getting into the G-series or Zeiss Sony lenses, I can't think of a single one that's well-liked, and those two are above your prescribed limit...

I don't know anything about the Sony so I can't recommend for or against it, but I have heard a few people rip on the kit lens. Why do you think you need an additional lens? Are you looking for macro? Telephoto? What do you feel like you're missing? Tamron makes some lenses in a Sony mount. Sigma might, not sure. DonSchap is the Sony expert, so you might PM him if that's what you're sold on.

Here's a lens review site.

As far as purchasing, B&H and Buydig.com are good sites to buy from.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

The problem is that Sony is just using a re-badged Minolta lens for their kit lenses on the A200/A300/A350. It's kind of a shame, because by all accounts they're capable bodies (especially the A350) but they crippled it by not designing a decent lens.

The 16-105 that comes with the A700 is a pretty good lens by all accounts and can be purchased seperately, but it's around ~$550.

whats so capable about an a350 as opposed to an a300 ?
    any dslr nowadays that shoots at 2fps maximum is quite simply...a disgrace.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Well, at Bestbuy [YES! I know, I'm going to look elsewhere as well], I was browsing for a DSLR, and came across a Canon [I think]. I wasn't paying attention to any of the specs, or the brand for that matter, but all I remember was that when you held down the shoot button, it would take about ~8 pictures per second.

So, I guess the Sony might not be my best choice.

When a bunch of you said the Sony kit lens is not good, is it something I would notice? Or is it one of those finer aspects that I will as I gain skill.

One more thing, now I'm looking at Canon and Nikon. Which one do you recommend [one that has a good kit lens and will leave me with enough $$ to buy another lens] for my photo styles?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm taking money out of my savings account and I want to be sure that I get something that will last for many years to come