Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Talking A TAMRON "Bundle of Fun!"

Well ... how about a lens for every day of the week?

Name:  bundle-of-fun.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  185.1 KB

Talk about filling a backpack ... geesh!

Note: The Di-II lenses are designated for SONY ... not Minolta.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-29-2008 at 08:52 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up Quite an assortment of glass you've got there!

Damn Don,

That is one expensive hobby you have involved yourself in. Seriously though, us "bridge" guys really appreciate all of your posts, pics and information!

re.ac.tor
    Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H50, Sony MVC-CD300

Don.....what can you tell me about the 28-75mm f/2.8 ?

I often look at replacing/accompanying my Sigma 17-70mm with a "faster" lens. Tamron site suggests it comes in a Canon mount.
    Canon 5D MKlll & Canon 50D
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 430EX Flash | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro Toploader 65 AW | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | Kata 3n1-10

Panasonic Lumix FZ200
    Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (aka ZS3)
    Panasonic Lumix FT3 (aka TS3)

Ali Baba.....the Thief of Bad Gags

It does, and I had one myself. Unfortunately, I and others are have some front focus issues that are being addressed. My brand new lens is at TAMRON, right now, being adjusted, because of the OTB problem.

It is an exceptionally light lens and when it is adjusted to spec, it is killer sharp, too.

If you do buy one ... check its focus immediately and do not exchange it for another, if out of whack ... but, get the one you bought fixed. You will be happier a lot sooner.

Good luck.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

That's not even your entire tamron collection!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Smile Boxed in ...

Well , modesty prevents me from going overboard. LOL

The picture happened (like pictures always do, right?) when the boxes all climbed off the shelf and up onto my desktop ... like some old family gathering.

No, the truth is that I have to butcher three of the boxes for their UPC-labels (for the rebates), which, in this case, is about $90. Hey, it's money. LOL
    So, I stacked them and thought, why not? They aren't doing a lot, anyway.

The best bargain is that 28-300mm "all-in-one" lens ... and it's $50 rebate. It expires tomorrow, so buy today if you still want it.

The boxes for several of my other lenses are long since gone. Some lenses I got second-hand, and were bargains. So, yeah ... if I lined up the lenses from end to end ... I might wind up next door.

It's a hobby ... for fun, not profit (yet). I have learned so much in the recent years, from changes in industry to software adaptation. The challenges are still ahead, more financial than other issues, these days.

Good luck with your own lens management. It can be kind of overwhelming ... APS-c sensors, Full Frame sensors, 35-film ... Hasselblad? Oh, don't tempt me. LOL

flickr & Sdi

wall of Tamron

Very nice Don, I hope to stack up like that over the next few years myself
    Still can't choose between the 200-500mm or the new 70-200mm 2.8 it may just have to be both, arrghh!! say what are you comments on that SP AF 180mm don't recall seeing any posts about it? Would you suggest it as part of a well laid out lens foundation or would the 90mm be more practical considering range overlaps?
    Sean

The 180mm MACRO ... takes a great shot ... as a PRIME, it is slow to focus, because it is a MACRO, w/o a "LIMIT" switch ... but, it also allows you to take a great, close-up 1:1 image ... without having to be in the subject's respective face. Some "things" just don't appreciate that intimacy.

The 90mm MACRO also takes a great shot ... but, you are going to be a lot closer with it, to get that same 1:1 ratio. I was able to purchase these two lenses on my student pricing plan, when I was attending college, and saved a few bucks. You know, opportunity knocked, so I answered.

On an APS-C sensor camera (a700, a300, a350, a200, a100), you know the effective range of this lens is 270mm. That's a nice long low-light PRIME.

I consider it "optional" ... whereas the 90mm f/2.8 is almost a mandatory size for portrait work (~85mm on APS-C).

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-30-2008 at 12:39 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Just curious, where did you buy under the "student pricing"

The rebate is from July to August 31, 2008 , still got a month left
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Yes, you are correct ... so, there you go LOL

When I was a student ... I got the pricing from Calumet Photographic. Basically, they did the processing of the payment and then the lens was sent DIRECTLY to me from TAMRON. They did not pull it from on-hand store stock. Took about a week to get it, if it was in TAMRON's stock. And ... no rebate.

As a footnote, Calumet Photographic does not readily carry too many SONY-mount lenses.

flickr & Sdi