Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow optical zoom/ digital zoom

12x optical zoom/5.7x digital zoom
    ---------------------------------
    Can any one please advice what is meant by 12x optical zoom/5.7x digital zoom in fuji s1000 model..
    optical zoom of 12 x has 5.7 digital zoom?
    is it good to have optical 12x zoom or 18x zoom..?
    i take indoor low light pics and outdoor action sports adventure pix too.
    plz advice..

The short answer is to ignore the digital zoom. It's not really very useful, and you can do the same thing only better once you get the pictures in your computer.

Optical zoom is what you get from the lens. The optics move and essentially bring the subject closer to you. In general, you don't lose any image quality when you use the optical zoom, although some cameras aren't quite as sharp when you're at the ends of the zoom range.

Digital zoom is performed in the electronics of the camera. The camera will crop the center of the image and then use software to expand it. This will definitely cause a drop in image quality. There are plenty of free software packages that do a better job of this then your camera can. I recommend that you ignore digital zoom and turn off the feature once you buy the camera.

I would never get a camera based on its digital zoom. as David has pointed out
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

Thanks for advice..

does the battery back up depend on optical zoom like 3x less battery consumption and 12x more..
    Which is good AA cell or lithium battery digital camera..?
    Which one shud i go ahead..also i have posted a thread "Which Camera i shud buy..? -ssunij137 "
    Can u plz check tat post and please advice..

What does.....?

Hi there ssunij137...

It might be a good idea to check out some online photography tutorials that'll explain a lot of these sorts of questions you're asking.

This is a good one which starts off from the basics and explains in non-technical terms how a digital camera and its lens works; how the image is formed in the camera; how the image is processed and finished on your PC; plus a few more technical aspects you can get into once you've learned the basics:

CambridgeInColour Digital Photography Course

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Digital zoom is not hopeless for snapshot purposes. I much prefer it to trying to do the same thing with an editor. This link will show you several samples for digital zoom -

http://fujif45fd.needsabeach.com/F45...dex/index.html

Kelly Cook

It is important to understand that digital zoom is not zoom at all...it is more accurately and actually digital cropping...a very significant difference...
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

If it really were limited to cropping, then my shots would not have turned out as good as they did. The camera's sensor processing can apply the "zoom" process to the image data prior to applying the JPG rendering. Thus the camera can do a better job than your editor can do on the pre-zoom version of the JPG data.

Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by KCook View Post
    If it really were limited to cropping, then my shots would not have turned out as good as they did. The camera's sensor processing can apply the "zoom" process to the image data prior to applying the JPG rendering. Thus the camera can do a better job than your editor can do on the pre-zoom version of the JPG data.

Kelly
    It is cropping. There is no "zoom process"...digital zoom is nothing more than in-camera cropping...whether the interpolation is done before the jpeg is rendered or not...end of story. The camera companies can fool you with all kinds of mumbo jumbo and you can choose to believe it...and even repeat it...but it's still just a bunch of BS never-the-less. It is cropping...not some magical "processing". Now, what you imply is true that when using digital zoom when shooting jpeg, since the crop and subsequent pixel interpolation usually happens before the jpeg compression algorithm is applied, you may get better results then you would by cropping via software later. But...digital zoom is STILL just cropping....and VASTLY inferior to optical zoom. Oh, and by the way...all that stuff about jpeg compression doesn't apply if your camera can shoot RAW....in that case, there is no difference whatsoever between the digital zoom and a software crop.

Oh, and one more thing...the sensor doesn't "process" anything. The camera's on-board micro processor does the processing.
    Last edited by JTL; 07-28-2008 at 10:56 PM.
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.