Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Faire Day

Still ... the best way to take a punch? Don't be there when it arrives! LOL There is nothing like a truly mobile fighting force, as long as they understand bivouac is a temporary situation. Do not get used to any one place.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-30-2008 at 12:15 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Man of many talents

Don so is there anything you don't do Knowledge of edged weapons and some metallurgy background eh, now thats interesting. a few questions for my intrigued mind, Your american short sword you made that, please tell me you ground out the blade from a blank and don't have your own FORGE!
    ATS-34 how hot you planning on getting that blade, should keep a edge even above 600 *F, removable titanium blank block......... you have that laying around?? and why did you put it in the cut out? remove it to "speed up" the blade? CPM-S30V specialty formulated steel, had to double check and look it up, you have a knife works nearby? that is a hard steel with the chrome boosted up right, water resistant, salt water corrosion ressitant, and a mirror like shine. was supposed to be "the steel" for custom knives, not sure how much it is being used. Ironwood from Arizona, did you get it yourself great wood for sword wasters, there is a reason its called ironwood! If anyone is interested a couple of intersting web sites, www.atar.com Jim Hrisoulas site, not much activity, but he is the "swordsmith" master metallurgest. also check out www.thearma.org

Red face If only I had the backing .... wow!

Sean,

Looks like you've done your homework, too. My original knife design for my Bowie was to use it as a "picture frame" ... where the insert would be replaced by a number of double-sided images to ornamate the blade. The "Eagle" is totally removable for replacement with a flatter 'S'-guard, so your "wall decoration" can quickly become one of the deadliest knives/short swords available. Also, the decorative insert (supported by small screws in the spine of the blade) can be replaced with a deadlier weaponized insert ... such as a pair of horizontal accessory blades or even a projectile-firing rig, which can be jettisoned after expended. Oh, the mind wanders, eh? LOL

I actually have two of these knives, one quite real and edged (no insert), the other (with the insert) a prototype with no edge (the one pictured in the prior post).

The economy of the recent two decades has prevented me from continuing development and "going to market" with this, as everyone's disposable income is being destroyed by the continuation of the war in Iraq (since 1991)/Afghanistan (since Charlie's War) and the horrid gas-bite.

I have found that a project of this size would require at least $100,000 in materials and work, just to have a meager initial offering of 200 pieces. Money just does not go very far, these days. So, it stays in prototype, for the moment. I have MY knife ... so there's always that. Cost me ~$3000 for the pair, but what the hell? That's a lot cheaper than most quality efforts go for.

No, I do not have a FORGE. A friend of mine does. We "mudded-up" and "heat-treated" the knives, so they are "ready" for use. The idea of going to the new metal happened when the CMP-v30s was finally developed. At the time of manufacture, though, ATS-34 was the only blank material I could rapidly get in small amounts from Admiral Steel. I mean what am I going to do with a 6-foot sheet of 1/4" thick BG-42? Tough stuff, heavy as hell, hard to chop up for blanks, and pretty impractical for home use.

I also rated the idea of using an EDI machiner to create precision cut blanks and center cut-outs ... $600 a blade, my friend, last time I checked. That's just for the cutting.

Now, of course, Admiral has released weapon-sized blanks ... which are shorter and about 10% more than the long bar stock. Kind of a new definition for "cost cutting" ... or more like, the cost of cutting.

Okay, then ... how about that photography? Okay then, here's an image of it "cased" today.

Name:  hvb-CASED.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  198.8 KB

The paint is a bit worse for wear ... but, this baby still works ... just ... fine!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-30-2008 at 02:52 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

deadly and homemade

Aintersting concept product Don, I think it would sell well, but you are right way to high set up costs for to small a yield, never be able to sell at the price to break even. I am sure that somewhere I think on one of the 2 sites i mentioned was something about sources for "weapons" blanks, smaller and narrower for use in swords and knives, less waste but the waste really can't be used for something else, to small, odd shaped etc. I dont recall what steel or how many choices it was offered in though. the BG-42 bars cut them in half, then cut down the middle, machine lathe the last 8 - 10 inches rounded and use as a club, would get the job done, can be used to open doors,windows, walls, and works your upper body swinging it
    for the EDI was that going to be your cost per blade after buying it, or just to use it, guess not many places have a extra one sitting around you could just "rent". mud and bake, old school you mix rock salt with the mud?" hotter quicker longer" sometimes nice effects in the steel. I know you can do it when you "mix" forged metals, but have heard that during heat treating you can "sprinkle" powdered zinc, nickel, fe oxide, etc on the metal, mud it and bake for subtle color changes, and 'sparkles'

Seems like years ago, now. Weird ... it was! LOL

Anyway, you probably want a size comparison with a human being. Okay, my model was 5' 9" tall. You figure it out ...

Name:  how-big-is-big.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  189.4 KB

That really is a 14-inch blade ... about 2 3/4-inch wide.

flickr & Sdi

way to make a point

she can almost hide behind the blade. not to handy quick access or fast in close use, but then again with that you don't need to be getting to close. As far as daily use and carry blades, and a "good" price I like the cold steel products, I at times carry the peacekeeper I. 9 plus inch blade needle tip double edged and razor sharp. most of the blades are designed as "slashers" but at over a foot long with the handle you can really put some torque on it and drive it home so to speak.

Once again, it was built for entertainment value, not social combat. Coupled with a pair of razor claws, you can defend .. and offend, quite effectively.

flickr & Sdi