Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Faire Day

Smile A Faire Day

So, I went to the Bristol Renaissance Faire, up on the Ill-Wis border. I was amazed to see so many people, just parading around in their 1599 Sunday best. It was rather ... different.

I'll put up a few, but this place needs some serious work.

Name:  nymph1.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  480.6 KBName:  nymph1a.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  464.1 KB

Name:  Nymph2.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  472.3 KB

Name:  fine-ladies.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  449.2 KB

Name:  Knights.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  479.6 KB

It's on the edge of being cool ... and kind of ... out there. You know what I mean? I just have this uncomfortable feeling that some people are really not too happy with modern reality.

I tell ya, these bright sunny days mixed with shady shots are a real test of your camera's dynamic range.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-27-2008 at 06:13 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

craziness!....

that guy on the right on your last picture looks like he has a pain in his neck from that giant lens!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Nice series. I like coloring of the first. The knights had to be hot. Don no shot of you in your Sunday clothes.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Well, I was looking, Frank. Got my hands on some leather ... a baldric (strap that holds your rapier sword, slung from your shoulder, like a sling bag), a jerkin (like a leather tunic), and a calvalier hat. It was roughly $500 worth of leather goods. I already have the rapier and scabbard, straight fom Toledo, Spain.

Name:  Rapier-point.jpg
Views: 1938
Size:  233.0 KB

Now, we need something for the arch-photographer. A leather vest, a sling for the camera and a fancy hat ... LOL.

But no, common sense got the better part of me, today ... and I just finished my tour and left. It did make for some exciting moments in the leather shop, though. LOL I told the guy $475 ... and he let me walk out. LOL Oh well, haggling just ain't what it used to be.

I did get a dandy smile from that blonde with the yellow hat, in rear of the ladies on parade, though.

Name:  Fine-ladies-crop.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  341.1 KB

It was like she truly appreciated my taking her image. I appreciated the smile! LOL
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-26-2008 at 06:56 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Cool Color beyond nature

I have to tell you, the nymph girl really did play hell with the exposure. Her purposeful "saturation" was something right out of a coloring book.

Name:  Nymph1b.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  458.1 KB
    A700 w/ TAMRON 17-50mm f/2.8
    @ 50mm - f/4 - 1/60 sec - ISO-400 - Spot Metering - Spot Focus - M - Natural Lighting
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-26-2008 at 06:57 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Agood day at ye faire

nice pics as always Don, bright sun deep shade bright colors, a fun challenge. I will be going to Ohio Renaissance festival the end of next month. It is one of the largest in the midwest, in it's 19th. year. large well laid out well attended. Hope to have lots of photos. If anyone is interested www.renfestival.com
    A rapier Don? a big guy like you? being a big guy also... wider rather then taller LOL I am a fan of the hand and a half long sword............bring me my broadsword!!

Wink Melee Madness ...

Oh, don't kid yourself! I have a 7-lb battle broadsword with a nasty little dagger built right into the back of the handle. If people really wanna party hearty ... you really should break out the "good stuff" ... and get personal.

Name:  melee-party.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  474.0 KB
    a700 w/ TAMRON 17-50mm f/2.8
    @ 40mm - f/5.6 - 1/60 sec - ISO-400 - ext flash - M

The rapier was merely for all-day-toting, not the "get to work" melee that comprises full-fledge field work. Oops, I pre-date myself. LOL

And to be perfectly honest ... as big as I am, I do appreciate the elegance of an good bow and quiver of arrows. I figure it is a prudent thing to whittle them down a bit, at 60 yards, before sloggin' in for the final row. Don't want too much company bargin' in.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-27-2008 at 05:25 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up When you just cannot be friends ...

and it really comes down to close-quarter ... where you need defense and offense ... in one weapon ... here's a little something I created a few years ago ...

Name:  HVB-stump.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  474.9 KB

As Mick Dundee, once said, "Now, that's a knife!"

The American short-sword ... 22-inches of close-quarter, combat-ready power ... yes, even the curved-clip has an edge. The pommel and spacer are made of Mokume' and the handle of Ironwood, plucked from the desert of Arizona. The blade is entirely ATS-34, except for that rectangular, dull-gray area ... which is a "removeable" blank of solid titanium. My next iteration of the blade was planned to be made of BG-42 or CPM-S30V ... which is a more "stainless" version of this superior and corrosion resistant steel. You could drop this in a lake and come back a year later ... and it would look the same. "Excalibur" should have been made of steel like this ... may be it would still be around to tell the tale.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-28-2008 at 01:05 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Cool Pokin' fun!

Now, I have to admit, it's not everyday, in America, where you see a herd of dudes sporting teepee poles with lethal looking tips on the ends of them, "pig-stickers", I guess you'd call 'em.

Name:  pikes.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  463.9 KB

but, yet, here they were ... yeah, Royal Pikers! LOL

Name:  Pikers.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  362.6 KB

... with her Royal Highness right in behind.

Name:  aw-hail.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  401.7 KB

All in all, they go by quite rapidly ... so you best have the camera at the ready ... because, "adjustment time" just isn't practical.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-28-2008 at 10:39 AM.

flickr & Sdi

True heavy metal

The well dressed gentlemen wouldn"t leave home with out a rapier and a short dagger at the least. But I see you know that when it's time to get down to it real old school style it's time for heavy metal. chain maille, helmet, boile leather and padding broadsword, long knife shield or buckler, maybe a war hammer or battle axe just in case. puttin a bit of distance between you and them with a bow is a good plan also, I have never been any good with a bow. 60 yards eh, gonna let 'em get that close? A tall strong guy "very strong" with a 6 foot double recurve war bow, 200 pound draw, 3 foot shafts... medieval version of reach out and touch some one. Styraight through anything but the best plate armor at 60 yards, highly lethal at 80 yards, still wouldnt want to get hit at 100 yards in armor/maille. of course it takes a tall strong man to handle a bow like that, and years of shooting it to be accurate over 100 yards, but still damn deadly