Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

My attempt at night photog. Critique?

Someone needs to start a night thread. I enjoy night photography and would love to see what you've all done. Sparkies image of the bridges are making me venture out to try my hand at it.

I took this photo over the weekend and was getting compliments from "regular" folks. lol Not my dcresource amigos. This photo was taken without a tripod, however I did place the camera on a ledge and used the timer. I'm wondering what I could have done to better enhance this photo. I know there's more I could have done. I think it's nice but after seeing that Brooklyn Bridge one I know there's plenty more I could have done.

Anybody care to critique it and offer a suggestion or two? Thank you.

Also, I'm thinking it's time for a wide angle lens. I'm working the kit lens here in this photo.
    Shooting with a Sony a300
    Sony 18-70mm
    Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD

Hi,

That's a pretty good photo. I like night photography too, I had some fun taking photos at the top of the Rockefeller Center in New York, putting the camera on a ledge and setting the 2 second timer. It's a little nerve wracking if you are high up doing that

With your photo, maybe it would be better with the people on the right cropped out, just focussing on the guy at the ropes and the city behind him? I think photos with that sort of single subject composition can have more impact.

Also, do you have any noise reduction software like Noise Ninja or Neat Image? That could help smooth the background.

Cheers,

JJ

Smile Some more night photos

From the Top of the Rock:

Both photos were from my Sony A100, no tripod, resting precariously on a window ledge

Cheers,

JJ

All three of those shots are excellent. We do have a night shots thread here.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Jonathan! That's what I'm talking about. Awesome! Incredible! Love it. Thanks for the comments and for sharing. Awesome pics!

Toriaj....Thank you I'll check it out!
    Shooting with a Sony a300
    Sony 18-70mm
    Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD

Jonathan nice images. Is there a way to soften the light from the Empire State Building? Like the water fall in my Brooklyn Bridge shot the water fall s also too bright. I couldn't figure out how to soften.
    Thanks Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Frank, this is where an HDR version might be an option ... or a selective cut and paste with Photoshop features.

Complex exposures ... always the challenge. Another idea would be to momentarily mask out that area, DURING the exposure (with a "dodging" tool, there by reducing the amount of overall light coming from it.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi