Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

A700 goes to soccer (futbol)

A700 with the tamron 70-300mm at high school girls summer leauge. 7 P.M. start time with setting sun behind me. resized and minor processing with my very basic skills.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

A few more

from the game, my daughter is the blonde in the first posting coming across the center line with the look of motivation, determination,anger on her face

Well, like anything ... you score a goal when the image tells a tale. That last image, in your first posting, with the goalie delivering that punt ... has real impact. You could do a lot with that particular image .... good isolation ... frame positioning works ... you could even crop it and you still have a winner.

Your speed selection also did a good job of freezing the action.

What kind of White Balance were you using, as I noticed it was changing from shot to shot?

Also, in action photography, the subject's shadow can play an important aspect. Try not to lose them in the frame ... they give the image "legs." It looks more complete and dynamic. Being just a little wide can provide some crop room, too. You cannot get back what is not there.

That's my 2-cents worth.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-19-2008 at 11:48 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks don

the photos are not in order with the time frame of the game, some are right at the start 7 P.M. and some are getting close to 8 P.M. I switched between
    sports scene mode, P mode and S modealso with 'vivid" color selection when i could change it. I only changed the white balance a couple of times from AWB to sunlight +2, I see that wasn't the way to go.
    I tried to avoid shadows as they were really getting long, is that correct ? When working with shadow of moving person shoot so the shadow is "following" the subject? I really like that corner kick shot also, and have played around with it a few times. in one i cropped it down to just frame her in a long narrow view. That shot was taken from across the field at the far 18 yrd. line so it is at a angle and about 75 yards or more away.
    I will post some more photos later from soccer summer camp. 5 - 7 P.M. BRIGHT sunshine W.B. on sunlight +2 also.

Hey Don just looking at my upload folder here, the two photos where there are girls in yellow tops. the 2 photos that look much flater and softer, those are from another game taken after 8 P.M. near twilight................That'll make a difference, sorry for my newbie errors.

Don't apologize .. it's okay. We all are learning ... and it is a (I hate to say this) "process." LOL

Have fun with your work ... it takes the bite out of having to struggle to get it "jes right."

The A700 can do so much ... even I, having had one since it came out, still feel I have only just grazed the surface of what it is capable of. It is an amazing device.

Good luck in all your efforts.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

A few from camp

some shots with the A700 tamron 70 - 300mm at training camp last week. Any better with the shadows Don?

Training camp II

A few more, played around and shot several shots through the net, a interesting effect, posted 2 of the "better" ones