Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Personally, flash photography is, in my opinion, an experiment in terror. Using "hot lights" is definitely a lot more ... controlled, because the light is continuous, but when you start playing with TTL ... all bets are off for consistency.

The closest thing I can come up with it being similar to is CRAPS.

Others may have a different story to tell ... but, you should plan on using lots of batteries and if you are on the move and changing locations, having your subjects posing several times to get just one shot.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don I didn't do that good with the flash. I will post some of my attempts in the AM. I did go and try to shoot the Brooklyn Bridge Waterfall Project again. This time I had the tripod. I will also post some of those also.
    Thanks again
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Honestly, Frank, all I am saying is that it takes some time and practice to get the flash to even be close to anticipated results. Don't be too disappointed, as it is the one aspect of photography that has most of us by the throat.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Here is one of the shots I took with the flash.

Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

That's not too bad ... but, I would like to suggest some kind of diffusion device to remove "hot spots", like the one on her cheek. These bright spots are where viewer's eyes go when they look at the image.

I recommend using Photoshop and a diffused brosh to soften it a bit.

Also, soften out the people in the background, if you can ... it will make the others really pop. Hey, it is all post processing work ... the final leg of a good image.

Nice job with this one, too, Frank ... so far ... just needs a little touchin' up.

flickr & Sdi

Frank, a nice picture, I see what Don is talking about with "hotspots" from the flash. Not that I have any room to talk but what about P.P. the bright dots out of the pupils in the eyes? IMHO I think its kind of cool the way the flash reflects in the stones on her necklace and the little girls earring. I have read alot on here about focus on the eyes, and I see that in your photo really makes it feel "alive"
    Sean