Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kodak Z1015 with 15x zoom

Coming in Sept. Impressive specs for $350. Says it has best-in-class click-to-capture speed (<0.22 sec.).

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....420&highlight=

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

Looks nice. If only Kodak would stop using those retarded batteries I might be interested. You either get to pay $10 for every 500 shots for disposables or buy their $50 rechargeable kit. Everyone else at this level supports AA or includes the rechargeable.

Unknown quantity?

Although we happily own a Kodak P&S, I'd have to say that Kodak is still playing "catch-up" with the other 'big' players in the game, certainly in the superzoom class.

For example, in auto-focus mode the Fujifilm S8000fd has a click-to-capture time of less than half the Kodak Z1015 (0.1 sec versus 0.22 sec) so I don't know how Kodak can claim "fastest in its class".

Also, the Kodak has a slower lens at 3.5 versus the Fuji's 2.8, and "only" 15x zoom versus the Fuji's 18x zoom.

Another important spec missing from Kodak's site re the Z1015 is the size of its LCD, and its refresh rate and number of dots.

I'm guessing that we'll have to await the reviewers' opinions when this cam hits the shelves?

Cheers

If you look at the fine print, they qualify that "fastest in class" with "Among 15X optical zoom, image stabilized digital cameras as of November, 2007.". So that would exclude the Fuji above because it has 18x zoom, not 15. Lame marketing crap if you ask me.

I image that this will probably end up being a good camera, but tough to pick over the competition.
    Last edited by tkbslc; 07-18-2008 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulff View Post
    Also, the Kodak has a slower lens at 3.5 versus the Fuji's 2.8, and "only" 15x zoom versus the Fuji's 18x zoom.
    Kodak's specs say the Z1015 lens starts at f2.8.

Confusion reigns?

Cut 'n' paste from Kodak.com.....
    Fast (f/3.5) 28 mm wide-angle lens
    Capture dramatic shots in tight quarters or in front of spectacular landscapes
    I'm not sure that Kodak themselves know how fast their lens is !

Where do you see f3.5? I'm still seeing f2.8, like here: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....420&highlight=

"Capture dramatic shots in tight quarters or of spectacular landscapes with the f/2.8 28mm wide-angle lens."

OK now I see f3.5 here: http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

Fast (f/3.5) 28 mm wide-angle lens
    Capture dramatic shots in tight quarters or in front of spectacular landscapes

I guess the press release was wrong.

Time will tell?

You'd think Kodak would proof their press releases (or site data) because it's just possible that the slower lens might tip the scales against the Z1015 for some potential buyers.

I'd almost be guessing that it should read 2.8 as in the past, Kodak have pumped out a couple of 2.7s (like the CX7530) in their point 'n' shoots even!

Cheers

But the Kodak Z-1015 does shoot RAW. For some folks, that might be the attraction.

Sarah Joyce